Yesterday (Ashley Roberts song)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Ashley Roberts|
|Released||November 11, 2012|
|Songwriter(s)||Ashley Roberts, Beau Dozier|
|Ashley Roberts singles chronology|
"Yesterday" is a song by American pop singer–songwriter Ashley Roberts. The track is her first solo single since her departure from The Pussycat Dolls in 2010. The song was released digitally on November 11, 2012.
Background and composition
After 2 years of hiatus, on November 7, 2012, it was announced that Roberts would compete in the twelfth series of the British reality television show I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!, airing on ITV. The same day the competition started Yesterday was released in the UK.
'Yesterday' was released through Cherry Red Records and distributed by Fastrax.
Music and lyrics
'Yesterday' is described as a pop ballad with a length of three minutes and 4 seconds. It was produced by Beau Dozier and written by Roberts and Beau Dozier.
In an interview with muzu.tv Ashley talks about the meaning of the song as "you're in a relationship or maybe a career... and you just kinda feeling that you're stuck and you want to move for but you can't... so it's being stuck yesterday and wanting to move forward."
The video premiere was announced via Twitter on November 13 as "Watch out for the premiere of the video for Ashley's new single #Yesterday tomorrow" and was released in Muzu.tv on November 14, then added to VEVO 2 days later. The video starts off with Roberts in her pool at her place with a guy (looking like the former love interest) touching her, the video then goes to Roberts singing the first verse with her lying on the bed. It then shows different shots of Roberts on the floor, chair, her bed and by her pool singing and showing her former love interest again. During the chorus it shows Roberts and the guy going on the bed making love followed by her being alone in the bedroom. The second verse starts out with Roberts by the pool again and this time showing flashbacks of her and the guy in the living room on the couch and chairs together. It shows them together in the room but the two don't talk or acknowledge each other at all. During the chorus again it shows the two of them fighting in their room with the guy later end up leaving Roberts alone. Roberts is also singing again on the bed, chair, poolside and doorway. The video ends with Roberts walking and fading away into air.
Formats and track listings
- Digital download
- "Yesterday" – 3:03
Yesterday missed to enter the top 100 on the Official UK Chart but peaked at number 179 on Sunday, December 16, 2012.
|UK Singles Chart||179|
Coinciding with the release of the single, Roberts joined I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! as a contestant the same day.
- Kraines, Talia (June 1, 2005). "Music – Review of the Pussycat Dolls – PCD". BBC. BBC Online. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- Vena, Jocelyn (March 1, 2010). "Pussycat Dolls Kimberly Wyatt, Ashley Roberts Leave Group". MTV. MTV. Retrieved 2014-06-04.
- "Ashley Roberts – I'm A Celebrity 2012: Celebrities". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Ashley Roberts MUZU.TV live webchat". Muzu.Tv. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "Yesterday's announce premier video: Ashley Roberts:". twitter.com/ImAshleyRoberts. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Yesterday's video: Ashley Roberts:". Muzu.tv. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Ashley Roberts - Yesterday". youtube.com/https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRJjI22vSA_kCCXGyMpsb4A. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- "Yesterday: Ashley Roberts: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-11-11.