Yesterday (Toni Braxton song)
|Single by Toni Braxton|
|from the album Pulse|
|Released||September 29, 2009|
|Producer(s)||DJ Frank E|
|Toni Braxton singles chronology|
"Yesterday" is a song by American R&B singer–songwriter Toni Braxton. The track is the lead single from her album, Pulse, released on May 4, 2010. Trey Songz appears on the American version released to radio, "Troy Taylor Radio Edit". Outside North America, the original version of the song was released, which features only Braxton's vocals.
The song was a moderate success on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and peaked at number twelve. In the United Kingdom, the song debuted at number 50 on the Official UK Singles top 100 Chart and at number 17 on R&B Singles top 40.
The song was released on Braxton's official website on September 29, 2009, after four years in hiatus. It is Braxton's first single released under Atlantic Records. In the United Kingdom, the song was supposed to be released on February 22, 2010, but ultimately the single release date was moved to May 3, 2010. "Yesterday" is Braxton's first single release in the UK since "Hit the Freeway" in 2003, as Libra was only available on import and no singles from the album were released there.
The song received positive reviews from music critics. Nick Levine from Digital Spy rated the song 3 out of 5 stars and favorably reviewed the solo version of the song, saying: "'Yesterday' shares a little too much of its DNA with Beyoncé's 'Halo' to satisfy fully, but [Braxton] sounds as seductive as ever crooning the surprisingly bitter lyrics - ("I don't love you, don't need you, can't stand you,") she insists on the middle 8. In fact, when she growls those last three words, it's almost like she never went away. Mark Edward Nero from About.com say, positively, "Arguably the best song on Pulse is the passionately bitter break-up song "Yesterday", but interestingly, the better of two versions of the song isn't included on the album's standard version". Andy Kellman from Allmusic said: "'Yesterday' is a bitter breakup ballad in which the teeth-clenched 'I don’t love ya/Don’t need ya/Can’t stand ya no more' sounds very real". Mikael Wood from Los Angeles Times said: "Opener 'Yesterday' cribs its twinkly emo-soul texture (and some of its airy vocal melody) from Beyoncé's 'Broken-Hearted Girl'".
There are two versions of the music video for "Yesterday": one for the original solo version and one for the remix featuring Trey Songz. Filming the video for the single started on October 8, 2009 in Los Angeles with director Bille Woodruff (known for such classic Braxton videos as "Un-Break My Heart" and "He Wasn't Man Enough"). Photos from the video were revealed on her official website on October 28 and show Braxton playing a piano, and Songz playing her boyfriend. The video premiered on The Wendy Williams Show on November 20, 2009. The video features singer Brooke Hogan as well as basketball players Shannon Brown and Ron Artest from the Los Angeles Lakers. The video tells the story about a woman (Braxton) who discovers that her boyfriend (Brown) is cheating on her with another woman (Hogan).
Braxton's promotion of the track commenced at the Soul Train Music Awards of 2009, along with Songz. Braxton also promoted the single in the UK with performances on GMTV on 11 May 2010, Loose Women and The David Dickinson Show on 18 May 2010.
"Yesterday" debuted at number 96 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. On the issue dated January 2, 2010, the song made a massive 39-spot jump and has now peaked at number twelve, making it her highest chart performance since her 2000 single "Just Be a Man About It", which peaked at number six. In the UK, "Yesterday" became Braxton's first hit single since the release of "Hit the Freeway", peaking at number 50 on the UK Singles Chart and at number seventeen on the UK R&B Singles Chart.
Formats and track listings
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||49|
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||50|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||20|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||17|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||50|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||17|
|US Adult R&B Songs (Billboard)||11|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||16|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||12|
|United States||September 29, 2009||Radio airplay||Atlantic Records|
|December 8, 2009||Digital download|
|December 15, 2009||CD single (Wal-Mart)|
|United Kingdom||May 2, 2010||Digital download|
|May 3, 2010||7" vinyl|
|Germany||May 7, 2010||CD single
- "Exclusive: Be the First to Listen to Toni Braxton's New Single 'Yesterday'". Essence. September 11, 2009. Retrieved October 3, 2009.
- : Sam (2010-01-21). "Toni Braxton's 'Pulse' Pushed Back – Again | ..::That Grape Juice // ThatGrapeJuice.net::.. || Thirsty?". Thatgrapejuice.net. Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- "Listen To Toni Braxton's 'Yesterday' Ft. Trey Songz! - Blog Detail". ToniBraxton.com. Retrieved October 17, 2009.[dead link]
- "Listen To Toni Braxton's "Yesterday" Ft. Trey Songz! - Blog Detail". TreySongz.com. Retrieved October 17, 2009.
- "Toni Braxton interview by Pete Lewis, 'Blues & Soul' May 2010". Bluesandsoul.com. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Toni Braxton Joins The Atlantic Family - Blog Detail". ToniBraxton.com. October 30, 2009. Retrieved November 20, 2009.
- "Radio1 – UK Forthcoming Singles". Radio1. Retrieved December 30, 2009.
- "Music - Singles Review - Toni Braxton: 'Yesterday'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- Pulse album review by About.com About.com Retrieved 2010-12-04
- Pulse album review by Allmusic Allmusic Retrieved 2010-12-03
- Wood, Mikael. "Pulse album review". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Silvan Schreuder and Geraint Humphreys (2009-12-17). "Toni Braxton: Yesterday (solo video)". We Are Pop Slags. Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- "Toni's "Yesterday" Music Video Shoot! - Blog Detail". ToniBraxton.com. October 8, 2009. Retrieved October 17, 2009.
- "Toni's 'Yesterday' Video Shoot Pics! - Blog Detail". ToniBraxton.com. October 28, 2009. Retrieved November 20, 2009.
- Published by: Ha T (2009-11-20). "Music Video: Toni Braxton ft Trey Songz – Yesterday - TheNext2Shine:Exclusive RNB Music Downloads". Blog.thenext2shine.com. Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- "Toni's 'Yesterday' Video Ft. Trey Songz To Premiere On The Wendy Williams Show This Friday! - Blog Detail". ToniBraxton.com. November 18, 2009. Retrieved November 20, 2009.
- "Yesterday music video facts". Songfacts. Retrieved March 2010. Check date values in:
- Toni and Trey at the Soul Train Awards[dead link]
- "GMTV | Week 19 Guests - ITV Press Centre". Itv.com. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Press releases | Programme press releases|The David Dickinson Show - ITV Press Centre". Itv.com. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- Trust, Gary (September 14, 2009). "Taylor Swift Climbs Hot 100, Black Eyed Peas Still No. 1". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved October 3, 2009.
- "Toni Braxton – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Toni Braxton. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "Yesterday (+video): Toni Braxton: Amazon.de: MP3-Downloads". Amazon.de. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Yesterday (2track): Toni Braxton: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Yesterday: Toni Braxton: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Yesterday - Single by Toni Braxton - Single on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Yesterday - EP by Toni Braxton - EP on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- :. "Toni Braxton - Yesterday MP3 Downloads". 7digital. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Toni Braxton - Yesterday at Juno Records". Juno.co.uk. 2010-05-03. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "music: Toni Braxton: Yesterday (2010)". hmv.com. 2005-12-15. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Austriancharts.at – Toni Braxton – Yesterday" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "Toni Braxton – Chart history" European Hot 100 for Toni Braxton. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "Musicline.de – Toni Braxton Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "Swisscharts.com – Toni Braxton – Yesterday". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-05-15" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-05-15" UK R&B Chart. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "Toni Braxton – Chart history" Billboard Adult R&B Songs for Toni Braxton. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "Toni Braxton – Chart history" Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 for Toni Braxton. Retrieved 2015-07-17.