Among programmers, yet another (often abbreviated ya, Ya, or YA in the initial part of an acronym) is an idiomatic qualifier in the name of a computer program, organisation, or event that is confessedly unoriginal.
Stephen C. Johnson is credited with establishing the naming convention in the late 1970s when he named his compiler-compiler yacc (Yet Another Compiler-Compiler), since he felt there were already numerous compiler-compilers in circulation at the time.
- Yabasic – Yet Another BASIC
- Yacc – Yet another compiler compiler
- Yacas – Yet another computer algebra system
- YaDICs – Yet another Digital Image Correlation Software
- YADIFA – Yet Another DNS Implementation For All
- YafaRay – Yet another free Ray tracer
- YAFFS – Yet Another Flash File System
- Yafra – Yet Another Framework
- YAGO – Yet Another Great Ontology
- Yahoo! – Yet another hierarchical, officious oracle
- Yakuake – Yet Another Kuake
- YAM – Yet Another Mailer, an email client
- YAML – Yet Another Markup Language. Later redefined to YAML Ain't Markup Language, making a recursive acronym
- Yandex – Yet another indexer, a web search engine and index
- YA-NewsWatcher – a Usenet client for classic Mac OS
- YANG – Yet Another Next Generation
- YAP – Yet Another Previewer, document previewer
- YAP – Yet Another Prolog, an implementation of the Prolog programming language
- YAPC – Yet Another Perl Conference
- YAPF – Yet Another Python Formatter
- YARN – Yet Another Resource Negotiator
- YARP – Yet Another Robot Platform
- YARV – Yet Another Ruby VM
- Yasara – Yet Another Scientific Artificial Reality Application, a molecular modeling program
- Yasca – Yet Another Source Code Analyzer
- YAS – Yet Another Society, a non-profit organization organizing YAPCs
- YaST – Yet another Setup Tool, an operating system installation and configuration wizard for SUSE Linux distributions
- Y.A.S.U. – Yet Another SecuROM Utility
- Yate – Yet Another Telephony Engine, VoIP software
- YAWC – Yet Another Wersion of Citadel
- YAWL – Yet Another Workflow Language, a business process modeling language for diagramming workflow patterns
- Yaws – Yet another web server
- YAPS – Yet Another Phishing Scam
- Another (disambiguation)
- All articles starting with "Yet Another …" or "Yet another …"
- Reinventing the wheel
- Tulsyan, Yash, ed. (25 June 2011). "Yet Another". Jargon File. Archived from the original on 23 July 2011. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Gurnitsky, Joanna. "What Does 'Yahoo' Stand For?". Internet for Beginners. About.com. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "What does "Yandex" mean?". History of Yandex. Yandex. Retrieved 26 Dec 2016.
- "Yet Another Society on WikiWikiWeb". Retrieved 5 Jan 2018.