Yew Chung International School of Silicon Valley
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Yew Chung International School of Silicon Valley|
|Motto||Educating the Global Child|
|Status||Open, Accepting New Students|
|Director||Dr. Betty Chan Po-King|
|Principal||Dr. Crystal Vaught|
|Grades||Preschool, Elementary, Middle School|
|Language||English, Mandarin Chinese|
|Campuses||2: K-8 and Preschool|
Yew Chung International School of Silicon Valley or YCIS is a private Preschool, Elementary and Middle School that provides an international education with an emphasis on Chinese Studies. YCIS is a non-profit 501(c)3 and is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The main campus is located at 310 Easy Street, Mountain View, California. The preschool campus is .4 miles away at 199 E. Middlefield Road, also in Mountain View.
YCIS Silicon Valley is part of the Yew Chung Education Foundation, which was established in 1932.. YCIS also has schools in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Chongqing and Qingdao.
Yew Chung International School of Silicon Valley offers a Chinese-English bilingual program. While English is the primary language of instruction, YCIS focuses on bilingual learning through the utilization of the "co-teaching" model (classes are administered by both Western and Chinese teachers, in order to encourage fluency.)
The first YCIS was established in Hong Kong in 1932. Since then, the school has grown to include campuses in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Chongqing, Qingdao and Silicon Valley, USA.
YCIS Silicon Valley opened in 2002 with fewer than 10 students. The school currently has an enrollment of over 240 students in Preschool through Middle School. Students represent over 40 zip codes in the Bay Area. Graduates of YCIS Silicon Valley go on to attend private, public charter and neighborhood schools including: Harker, Castilleja, Nueva, Keys, Girls’ Middle School, Valley Christian, The King’s Academy, Bullis Charter, Summit Denali and more.
In 2011, YCIS Silicon Valley expanded to include a new preschool campus on East Middlefield Road, which is close to the Main Campus at Easy Street.
In 2014, the addition of portable classrooms at the Main Campus made it possible for the school to add middle school grades.
Mission and Philosophy
YCIS is committed to offering a global education characterized by:
- A fully rounded and balanced education which nurtures the whole child: academically, socially and spiritually;
- An emphasis on academic excellence, dual language acquisition and the tools for success in a globalized world;
- A bilingual and multicultural learning environment which fosters respect for diversity;
- A supportive and nurturing school life which seeks to produce confident, balanced and socially responsible individuals.
Yew Chung International School of Silicon Valley offers education to students from Preschool (at age 2), Elementary School and Middle School.
Network of Schools
- Yew Chung International School of Hong Kong
- Yew Chung International School of Shanghai
- Yew Chung International School of Beijing
- Yew Chung International School of Chongqing
- Yew Chung International School of Qingdao
- Yew Chung International School of Silicon Valley
- Chan Po-king, Better. "About Us". YCIS Website. Yew Chung International School. Retrieved 5 May 2011.