Yiannos Papantoniou in 2002.
|Member of the Hellenic Parliament|
1989 – 2007
|Member of the European Parliament|
1981 – 1984
27 July 1949 |
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge
University of Athens
Yiannos Papantoniou (Greek: Γιάννος Παπαντωνίου; born 27 July 1949) was a member of the National Parliament in Greece (MP) from 1988 to 2007, Minister of National Defense (2001–03), Minister of Economy and Finance (1994–2001). During his time as Economy and Finance Minister, he worked closely with his Economic and Financial Affairs Council partners to prepare for the launch of the Euro in Greece. For his achievements he was ‘highly commended’ by Euromoney magazine in September 1998 as Finance Minister of the Year. Prior to this, Papantoniou worked at the OECD (1978–81), served as an Member of the European Parliament (MEP) from 1981 to 1984, and as Advisor to the Greek Prime Minister on EEC Affairs and Integration. He was elected as Chairman of the Board of Governors of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) in 1999. From 2009–10, he was Visiting Senior Fellow in the Hellenic Observatory within the European Institute at the London School of Economics and Political Science. Papantoniou has published numerous articles and books on topics related to economic and political developments in Greece, Europe and the wider world scene. In November 2014, Papantoniou was convicted by an Athens court of failing to declare 1.2 million euros in a Swiss bank account held under his wife's name.
He is currently the President of the Centre for Progressive Policy Research (KEPP), an independent think-tank.
Notes and references
Media related to Yiannos Papantoniou at Wikimedia Commons
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 19, 2003. Retrieved September 19, 2007.
- "I Brought the Euro to Greece". Foreign Affairs. Essay by Papantoniou defending the accession of Greece to the EMU.
- "Greek Ex-Minister Convicted Over Bank Account". The National Herald. New York City. November 18, 2014. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Centre for Progressive Policy Research
- List of National Economy Ministers (1982–2000)
- List of Ministers of Finance (1967–2000)
- List of Economy and Finance Ministers (2000–2009)
||Minister for Finance
||Minister for National Economy
|Minister for National Defence
This page incorporates information from the Hellenic Parliament website
|This article about a Greek politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament for Greece is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|