Grand Union Canal in Yiewsley
|Yiewsley shown within Greater London|
|Population||12,979 (2011 Census. Ward)|
|OS grid reference|
|Ceremonial county||Greater London|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||WEST DRAYTON|
Yiewsley (//) is a place in the London Borough of Hillingdon. Its name derives from the Anglo-Saxon Wifeleslēah: "Wifel's woodland clearing". Yiewsley was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Hillingdon, Middlesex. The population was recorded as 11,767 in 2008, by the Office for National Statistics.
There is little recorded about Yiewsley until the late 18th century, when the Grand Junction Canal was cut. A branch of the canal known as Otter Dock was cut between Yiewsley and West Drayton in the years 1876-1879 in order to service Yiewsley's brickworks. Brick-making and agriculture were the main industries in Yiewsley during the late 18th and 19th centuries, and the expansion of the brickworks resulted in a large growth in population. Five million bricks moulded and fired in the Hillingdon Brickfields every year were transported by canal to a yard near South Wharf Basin, Paddington. The last brick-field closed in 1935 following strikes and the Great Depression, and around this time Otter Dock was filled in.
The arrival of the Great Western Railway and the building of West Drayton railway station in 1838 resulted in new houses being built and a sharp increase in both population and trade. A branch line to Uxbridge was completed in 1856. This ran until closed as part of the Beeching plan in 1964 (although passenger services had been discontinued in 1962).
The area has some important local neighbourhood groups, including the Town Centre Action Group and the UB7 Projects Development Group.
- Ronnie Wood, guitarist in rock bands the Rolling Stones and The Faces, grew up in Yiewsley, attending St Stephen's Infant School and St Matthew's Church of England Primary School
- Musician Kim Gardner (1948–2001), of power rock trio Ashton, Gardner and Dyke, grew up in Yiewsley
- Special effects man Wally Gentleman (1926–2001), whose credits include 2001: A Space Odyssey and Universe, was born in Yiewsley
- "Hillingdon Ward population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Info at visionofbritain.org.uk
- "A focus on Yiewsley" (PDF). London Borough of Hillingdon. January 2010. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- History of Yiewsley
- St Matthew's church website
- "NHS Hillingdon". Hillingdon Primary Care Trust. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yiewsley.|