Yiff is a slang term used in the furry fandom to refer to pornographic content. It is considered a tongue-in-cheek term in the furry fandom. The term is also used as a way to insult members of the furry fandom, such as in the phrase "yiff in hell".
It is also thought to originate from a role player named Foxen, who created Foxish, a constructed language invented for use during online furry roleplaying. It was originally intended as a general-purpose expression of excitement or happiness, but became conflated with the term yipp, which carried sexual implications.
The CSI episode "Fur and Loathing", which aired on October 30, 2003, increased awareness of the term outside of the furry fandom. The word yiff became mainstream later that decade from anti-furry rhetoric on sites like 4chan.
- Austin, Jessica Ruth (2021-08-26). Fan Identities in the Furry Fandom. Bloomsbury Publishing USA. p. 142. ISBN 978-1-5013-7542-2. Archived from the original on 2021-08-28. Retrieved 2021-08-28.
- "yiff". Dictionary.com. Archived from the original on 2021-08-28. Retrieved 2021-08-28.
- Hsu, Kevin J.; Bailey, J. Michael (2019-07-01). "The "Furry" Phenomenon: Characterizing Sexual Orientation, Sexual Motivation, and Erotic Target Identity Inversions in Male Furries" (PDF). Archives of Sexual Behavior. 48 (5): 1349–1369. doi:10.1007/s10508-018-1303-7. ISSN 1573-2800. PMID 30806867. S2CID 73502071. Archived from the original on 2021-08-30. Retrieved 2021-08-28.
- "What does 'yiff' mean, and why do furries use it?". The Daily Dot. 2019-09-13. Retrieved 2021-12-15.
- Bronner, Simon J.; Clark, Cindy Dell (2016-03-21). Youth Cultures in America [2 volumes]. ABC-CLIO. p. 276. ISBN 978-1-4408-3392-2. Archived from the original on 2021-08-28. Retrieved 2021-08-28.
- Parsons, Zack (2009-07-28). Your Next-Door Neighbor Is a Dragon. Kensington Publishing Corp. ISBN 978-0-8065-3301-8.
- Dalzell, Tom; Victor, Terry (2014-11-27). The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English. Routledge. p. 855. ISBN 978-1-317-62512-4. Archived from the original on 2021-08-28. Retrieved 2021-08-28.
- Yiff at WikiFur