Yihui Xie (Chinese: 谢益辉) is a Chinese statistician and data scientist. He is the main author of the open-source Knitr package for data analysis in the R programming language, and has also written the book Dynamic Documents with R and knitr. He works as a software engineer for RStudio.
Early life and education
Yihui Xie graduated from Renmin University of China with a bachelor's degree in Economics and master's degree in Statistics. He has a Ph.D from Iowa State University with advisors Di Cook and Heike Hofmann.
Yihui Xie created the animation package in R which allows animation in graphics through R. He then authored the knitr package which makes reproducible research available from R. Since 2013, he has been working with RStudio, the makers of the RStudio IDE for the R programming language.
- Xie, Yihui; Allaire, J.J.; Grolemund, Garrett (2018). R Markdown: The Definitive Guide. Boca Raton, Florida: Chapman & Hall/CRC The R Series. ISBN 978-1138359338.
- Xie, Yihui; Hill, Alison; Thomas, Amber (2017). blogdown: Creating Websites with R Markdown. Boca Raton, Florida: Chapman & Hall/CRC The R Series. ISBN 978-0815363729.
- Xie, Yihui (2016). bookdown: Authoring Books and Technical Documents with R Markdown. Boca Raton, Florida: Chapman & Hall/CRC The R Series. ISBN 978-1138700109.
- Xie, Yihui (2015). Dynamic Documents with R and knitr (2nd ed.). Boca Raton, Florida: Chapman & Hall/CRC The R Series. ISBN 978-1498716963.
- Xie, Yihui (2013). "animation: An R Package for Creating Animations and Demonstrating Statistical Methods". Journal of Statistical Software. 53 (1): 1–27.