Yıldız (literally "a star" in Turkish) is a neighbourhood located in the Beşiktaş district of Istanbul, Turkey. The neighbourhood comprises some of Istanbul's well-known historical locations, such as Yıldız Park and Yıldız Palace, the second largest palace in Istanbul. Yıldız has a population of approximately 6,000.
The area of Yıldız used to be a coniferous forest in Byzantine times. Starting during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent, the Ottoman sultans made it their hunting grounds. In the next centuries, it remained as a grove behind the seaside palaces. The neighbourhood began to flourish in the wake of construction of the palace in the 19th century. It took its name from the first pavilion, namely Yıldız Kasrı, commissioned by Selim III in early 19th century.
Places to see
The biggest part of the palace gardens, some old pavilions and the famous porcelain workshops are open to the public in what is now called the Yıldız Park. The well-known pavilion in the complex, the Şale Köşkü or Chalet Pavilion, is accessed through the park.
Today a considerable part of the neighbourhood's area is occupied by the old palace complex, which contains the main palace buildings, Yıldız Park, Yıldız Mosque and Yıldız Clock Tower as well as Yıldız Technical University.
In addition to these, the türbe of Yahya Efendi, a 16th-century Islamic complex, attracts around a million local visitors every year. Besides, the türbe of Sheikh Zafir Efendi, which was designed by the architect Raimondo D'Aronco and built in 1886, is one of the good examples of Art Nouveau style in Istanbul. Just behind the türbe, stands the Ertuğrul Tekke Mosque which was built in 1887 and commissioned by the Ottoman sultan Abdul Hamid II.
- Yıldız Clock Tower
- Yıldız Hamidiye Mosque
- Yıldız Palace
- Yıldız Park
- Yıldız Technical University
- "Neighbourhoods of Beşiktaş district" (in Turkish). Governorship of Beşiktaş, Istanbul. 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "İşte en gözde türbe" (in Turkish). Sabah Newspaper Online. 2001. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "Şeyh Zafir Türbesi". En güzel 10 art nouveau yapı (in Turkish). Hürriyet Newspaper Online. 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- Karpat, Kemal H. (2001). The Politicization of Islam. OUP USA. p. 194. ISBN 978-0-19-513618-0. Retrieved 2009-08-30.
- "Information on Yıldız neighbourhood" (in Turkish). Municipality of Beşiktaş, Istanbul. 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "The Yıldız Palace" (in Turkish). Governorship of Istanbul. 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yıldız.|
|Look up yıldız in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- WowTurkey.com - Images of the tekke of Yahya Effendi in Yıldız, Beşiktaş
- WowTurkey.com - Images of the Ertuğrul Tekke Mosque and the turbe of Sheikh Zafir Effendi in Yıldız, Beşiktaş