|Education||Ph.D. The Hebrew University, 1974|
Postdoctoral Princeton University, 1974-1976
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
|Occupation||Distinguished Professor at the Schulich Faculty of Chemistry|
|Organization||Schulich Faculty of Chemistry|
|Known for||President of the Technion 2001-2009|
Distinguished Professor at the Schulich Faculty of Chemistry
|Title||President of the Technion|
|Awards||Frederic Stanley Kipping Award in Silicon Chemistry, 2010|
Yitzhak Apeloig (born September 1, 1944 in Uzbekistan) is a pioneer in the computational chemistry field of the Ab initio quantum chemistry methods for predicting and preparing the physical and chemical properties of materials. He was the president of the Technion from 2001 until 2009 where the position was handed off to Peretz Lavie. Distinguished Prof. Apeloig currently holds the Joseph Israel Freund Chair in Chemistry and is the co-director of the Lise Meitner Minerva Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry at the Technion. He served as dean of the Faculty of Chemistry from 1995 to 1999, where he was named Teacher of the Year at three occasions.
During his Technion presidency, Prof. Apeloig actively recruited of more than 150 elite scholars and scientists worldwide to the Technion. He also established a number of interdisciplinary research centers such as the Russell Berrie Nanotechnology Institute. He also established the Lorry I. Lokey Interdisciplinary Center for Life Sciences and Engineering.
Yitzhak was born in Uzbekistan after his family fled from the Nazis after the invasion of Poland in September 1939. In 1947 the family immigrated to Israel. He served in the Nahal Brigade and the paratroopers between 1962 and 1964. He received his BA in physics and chemistry in 1967. In 1969 he completed his Masters in Chemistry, and in 1974 his doctorate in chemistry.
Yitzhak joined the faculty of the Technion in 1976 and in 1983 he was appointed professor. He became the dean of the Faculty of Chemistry in 1995 until 1998 when he became the president of the Technion.
- 2011 - Received the Order of Merit (First Degree) of the Federal Republic of Germany from Bundespräsident Christian Wulff
- 2010 - Honorary Foreign Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2010 - American Chemical Society Fredric Stanely Kipping Award in Silicon Chemistry
- 2010 - Alexander von Humboldt - Lise Meitner Senior Research Award
- 2009 - Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2008 - Honorary Member, Mexican Academy of Sciences
- 2007 - Wacker Silicone Award
- 2006 - Honorary Doctorate of Science from the Technische Universität Berlin, Germany
- 2002 - C. A Coulson Lecturer, University of Georgia, Athens, USA
- 2002 - The Israel Chemical Society Prize
- 1997 - Distinguished Teacher Award by the Technion Student Association
- 1996 - Granted a Minerva Center in Computational Quantum Chemistry
- 1994-1999 - Alexander von Humboldt - Lise Meitner Senior Research Award
- 1993 - Distinguished Teacher Award by the Technion Student Association
- 1993 - Senior Scientist Exchange Fellow, Israel-Italy National Council for Research and Development
- 1991, 1993 - The Henri Gutwirth Prize for Excellence in Research by the Technion
- 1991, 1999, 2010 - Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Senior Visiting Professor Award
- 1988 - Technion Award for Academic Excellence, Technion (The New England Prize)
- 1986 - Distinguished Teacher Award by the Technion Student Association
- 1986 - The Louis Klein Visiting Professorship in Australian Universities
- 1985, 1991 - Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) Visiting Professor
- 1979 - Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) Fellowship
- 1977-1978 - Bat-Sheba de Rothschild Fellow
- 1974 - The Yashinski Prize for Distinguished Ph.D. Thesis
- 1971 - The Prize for Distinguished Student of the Dean of the Faculty of Sciences, Hebrew University
- 1965-1967 - Annual Prize for Distinction in Chemistry Studies, Hebrew University
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2013)
- "Yitzhak Apeloig". Technion. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "Apeloig Yitzhak Web Site - Technion". Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "Technion President Yitzhak Apeloig to Receive Chemical Society Prize - American Society for Technion-Israel Institute of Technology". Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "Nobel Laureate Delivers First Apeloig Lectureship - American Society for Technion-Israel Institute of Technology". Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "Frederic Stanley Kipping Award in Silicon Chemistry". ACS. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "German Order of Merit to Distinguished Prof. Yitzhak Apeloig". FOCUS Magazine. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "Interview with prof. Yitzhak Apeloig". Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "Yitzhak Apeloig". Retrieved 27 November 2013.