Ylitornio welcome sign
Location of Ylitornio in Finland
|Sub-region||Tornio Valley sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Tuomo Karjalainen|
|• Total||2,212.47 km2 (854.24 sq mi)|
|• Land||2,028.86 km2 (783.35 sq mi)|
|• Water||183.83 km2 (70.98 sq mi)|
|Area rank||29th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||195th largest in Finland|
|• Density||1.98/km2 (5.1/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.3% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13%|
|• 15 to 64||60%|
|• 65 or older||27%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.25%|
It is located in the province of Lapland along the Tornio River, opposite the Swedish town of Övertorneå about 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) by road to its northwest. The two localities are connected by an international bridge that goes between Övertorneå through an island and enters Finland in a rural portion of Ylitornio's municipality, about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) north of town. Literally translated to English the two locations would be called Upper Tornio.
The municipality has a population of 4,020 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 2,212.47 square kilometres (854.24 sq mi) of which 183.83 km2 (70.98 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1.98 inhabitants per square kilometre (5.1/sq mi).
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Ylitornio at Wikimedia Commons
|This Lapland (Finland) location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|