Moe with 'Dance with a Stranger' in 2009.
October 4, 1957|
April 17, 2013 (aged 55)|
Norsk Plateproduksjon |
Hot Club Records
|Associated acts||Dance with a Stranger|
Yngve Moe (October 4, 1957 – April 17, 2013) was a Norwegian bass guitarist, known from a number of album releases as a session musician, and most notably as a founding member of Dance with a Stranger.
He started his career in the band Erter, Kjøtt og Flesk (1971–1975), in his home town of Tromsø. The band was disbanded in February 1975, after a job in Skien where they were support act for Fairport Convention. During one of the breaks, one of the band members was caught stealing a raw steak, and since Moe was not yet 18 years old, the legal age for prosecution in Norway, he was brought home by his father, ending the band's career. In 1978, Moe moved to Bergen with fellow musicians and friends Bjørn Vassnes and Turid Pedersen, the latter two starting the band Nøkken together with Hans Petter Gundersen. Moe later joined "Nøkken" as a concert musician. During the same time he also played with HP Gundersen's band "Rust". Moes greatest achievements came with the band Dance with a Stranger where he was a founding member and bass guitarist up until his death. He also continued working as a studio session musician, participating in projects like Olav Dale's Son Mu, Ernesto Manuitt y Grupo and Groovy
In April 2013, while vacationing in Tenerife, Spain with his family, Moe was caught by underwater currents as he was taking his daily swim at the beach, and dragged underwater for a period of time. On April 6, it was reported that he was in a chemically induced coma, in critical but stable condition. A few days later he was moved to the hospital in Bergen, where he remained in a coma.
On April 17, 2013, it was announced that Moe died at 15:30 hrs. local time, having never regained consciousness following the drowning accident. He was 55 years old, and is survived by his wife and daughters.
- Vossajazzprisen 2006
- Within "Erter, Kjøtt og Flesk»
- 1973: Husmannskost
- 2012: Live i studio!, recorded 1974–75
- Within "Rust»
- 1983: Rust (EMI Music, Norway)
- Within "Son Mu»
- 1985: Son Mu (Hot Club Records)
- Within "Dance with a Stranger»
- 1987: Dance with a Stranger (Norsk Plateproduksjon)
- 1989: To/Fool's Paradise (Norsk Plateproduksjon/RCA)
- 1991: Atmosphere (Norsk Plateproduksjon)
- 1994: Look What You've Done (Norsk Plateproduksjon)
- 1994: Unplugged (Norsk Plateproduksjon) konsertalbum
- 1995: The Best of Dance with a Stranger (Mercury) samlealbum
- 1998: Happy Sounds (Mercury)
- 2007: Everyone Needs a Friend... The Very Best of Dance with a Stranger (Mercury) samlealbum med tre nye låter
- As a studio/session musician
- 1986: Let's Spend The Night Together, within the band «CCCP»
- 1995: Oofotr (Norske Gram), with Oofotr
- 1995: Mia's Song (Sonet), single with Marius Müller
- 1996: Sånn (Nord-Norsk Plateselskap), with Terje Nilsen
- 2003: Hush Hush (EMI Music, Norway), with Nathalie Nordnes
- 2010: Storm, with Elg
- 2010: Fram til i dag (EMM Records), with Erik Moll & "Voksne Herrers Orkester»
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yngve Moe.|
- Dance With a Stranger (in Norwegian). Store Norske Leksikon.
- "Tromsølegender gjenoppstår på Bukta" (in Norwegian). Nordlys.no.
- Tomas Lauvland Pettersen (December 8, 2003). "Nøkken: Nøkken 1978 – 1984". Listen to Norway MIC.no.
- "Yngve Moe". Groove.no.
- "Dance with a Stranger-artist i koma etter ulykke" (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. April 6, 2013.
- "Dance with a Stranger-artist døde" (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. April 17, 2013.
| Recipient of the Vossajazzprisen