Tŵr Bach lighthouse with Snowdonia in background
|Area||0.3 km2 (0.12 sq mi)|
|• Density||0/km2 (0/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Geology and geography
The island is very rich in legends, and in particular the association with Dwynwen. The name Llanddwyn means "The church of St. Dwynwen". Dwynwen is the Welsh patron saint of lovers, making her the Welsh equivalent of St. Valentine. Her Saint's day is 25 January and is often celebrated by the Welsh with cards and flowers. The island bears the ruined remains of St Dwynwen's Church.
There are more than 10 miles (16 km) of footpaths crossing Ynys Llanddwyn and Newborough Warren, including the Anglesey Coastal Path, and it is a very popular place to visit. The island provides a worth-while goal after the mile-long walk along the beach from the nearest car park. Ynys Llanddwyn, with the neighbouring beach, has been awarded Blue Flag beach status in recognition of the cleanliness of the sea and the beaches.
- 1873 Construction of lighthouse on Ynys Llanddwyn.
- 1903 Closure of the lifeboat station on Ynys Llanddwyn.
- 1911 RSPB Cymru opens in Llanddwyn Bird charity born 100 years ago at Llanddwyn Island.
- 3 December 1920 - Five crew members from the Rhoscolyn lifeboat are lost off Llanddwyn, Anglesey.
Ynys Llanddwyn in film
- In 2004, Ynys Llanddwyn was used as a filming location in Demi Moore's romantic thriller Half Light. Tŵr Mawr was used as a lighthouse which plays a key role in the film. CGI was used to create the effect of a real light on top of the lighthouse.
- Bryn Terfel filmed his video for Cavatina (arranged by Chris Hazell) on Ynys Llanddwyn "a very beautiful romantic place" (Bryn on BBC Breakfast)
- In 2009, a scene for the Hollywood blockbuster Clash of the Titans was filmed at Llanddwyn.
Photos of Llanddwyn
- Bird charity born 100 years ago at Llanddwyn Island, BBC, 10 January 2011
- Hague, D., B., Lighthouses of Wales Their Architecture and Archaeology (Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, edited by Hughes, S., 1994) ISBN 1-871184-08-8
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ynys Llanddwyn.|