|Look up yobbo or yob in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Yob is a slang word used in the United Kingdom. The term denotes a loutish, uncultured person, and is published in dictionaries in the United Kingdom. In Australia and New Zealand, the word yobbo is more frequently used, with a similar although slightly less negative meaning.
The word itself is a product of backslang, a process whereby new words are created by spelling or pronouncing existing words backwards. The word yob is thus derived from the word boy. It only began to acquire a derogatory connotation in the 1930s.
In popular culture
- Anti-social behaviour order
- Feral (subculture)
- Lad culture
- Millwall brick
- Terry Victor; Tom Dalzell (Nov 27, 2014). The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English (Google eBook). Routledge. p. 760. ISBN 978-0415212595. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Etymology for the word yob at Online Etymology Dictionary
- Mike Storry; Peter Childs (2002). British Cultural Identities. Routledge. p. 19. ISBN 978-0-415-27860-7.
- Burchfield, R.W. ed. The Oxford English Dictionary. (1987) ISBN 0-19-861211-7