|Headquarters||210 Shields Court, Markham, Ontario Canada|
|Aaron Serruya, President|
Yogen Früz is an international chain of frozen yogurt and smoothie stores that also serves healthy alternative food products. The chain is run through company-owned, franchised, and non traditional partnerships.
Yogen Früz was founded in 1986 by brothers Michael Serruya and Aaron Serruya, who opened the firm's first outlet, in August 1986 at The Promenade Shopping Centre in Thornhill, Ontario, Canada. The umlaut over the "u" in the store's name is an example of foreign branding.
The store offered made-to-order frozen yogurt in cups as well as frozen shakes mixed with fresh fruit; it was successful, and within a year the company's first franchises opened in London, Ontario. By 1989 Yogen Früz franchised its 100th store. A younger brother, Simon, joined the company in 1989 at the age of 18, while their father sold his typesetting business to oversee offices in Europe.
In December 2005, International Franchise Corp. acquired Yogen Früz and CoolBrands International's franchise division.
Today, the company serves proprietary probiotic frozen yogurt, both mixed with fruit(s) and soft serve, and both dairy and non-dairy smoothies. It is the largest franchiser of stores serving primarily frozen yogurt, with over 1,400 locations operating in more than 46 countries. The company aims to brand itself as a healthy-choice lifestyle product.
Yogen Früz developed a unique blending system which combines its frozen yogurt bars with freshly frozen fruits, allowing customers to choose their own custom blend. Custom frozen yogurt blends can be created into frozen yogurt cups or smoothies.
Yogen Früz has created frozen yogurt versions of favourite dessert treats called Ü Sensations, flavors under this label include Strawberry Cheesecake, Apple Pie, Chai Latte, Piña Colada, and more.
Yogen Früz menu items can be customized into low-fat, non-dairy, no-fat, or no sugar added desserts. 
Business strategy and organization
The firm frequently uses "master franchisees", who can obtain the rights either to open stores directly or sell franchise licenses to others. Master franchisees are granted for periods varying between ten and twenty years, and usually require the franchisee to open a minimum number of outlets each year. Additionally, the firm uses a non-traditional method of expansion involving co-branding, which allowed for the mingling of Yogen Früz products with other known food services by way of "mini-counters" in established stores. As of 2008, master franchise agreements and co-branding remain the firm's main business.
The Serruya brothers initially sought expansion overseas rather than compete in the United States, because frozen yogurt dessert shops had already neared market saturation in the United States in the 1980s, and, unlike today, the average consumer was then neither familiar with nor accepting of the taste of yogurt. In early 1995 Yogen Früz franchisees operated 170 outlets in Canada, which comprised 80 percent of the frozen yogurt market in Canada. As of 2007, Yogen Früz has over 1,200 stores operating in over 25 countries including the United States,
In 2008 the company announced its new store design and branding, which was designed to be applied to small and large outlets in both malls and free-standing stores.
In Feb 2014, Diet & Lite Trading - Abu Dhabi based company and member of Khalifa Fund- has obtained the master franchise rights for the UAE.
Awards & Recognition
||There is a proposal that portions of this section be split into a new article titled List of Awards. (Discuss) (December 2015)|
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
- "Contact Us." Yogen Früz. Retrieved on March 15, 2014. "Yogen Früz headquarters 210 Shields Court Markham, Ontario L3R 8V2, Canada"
- "CoolBrands sells franchising division.". Ice Cream Reporter. 2006-01-20.
- Sugar, Fit (2007-05-22). "Latest Healthy Dessert Craze: Yogen Früz". Sugar Publishing Inc.
- "About Us". Yogen Fruz. Retrieved 2013-01-17.
- Klein, Karen E. (2008-03-10). "Can Yogen Fruz Gain a U.S. Following?". Business Week.
- "About Us". Yogen Fruz.
- "Store Finder". Yogen Fruz.
- "Busy year for Yogen Fruz.". Ice Cream Reporter. 2008-01-20.
- "Yogen Fruz Unveils New Store Design at Two Stores in Canada". Reuters. 2008-02-28.
- "World's Largest Frozen Yogurt chain open its door to Middle East". AMEinfo.com. 2010-01-14.
- Tiffany, Laura (1999-01-01). "Freeze Fame: How this year's No. 1 franchise, Yogen Früz, is getting its just desserts.". Entrepreneur Magazine.
- Mulhern, Charlotte (1998-01-01). "The Big Chill - The brothers behind Yogen Früz turn up the heat on a cool concept.". Entrepreneur Magazine.
- "Canadian Franchise Association Announces 2009 Frankie Award Winners". Canadian Franchising Association. 2009-05-08.
- "Expansion into Foreign Markets". Franchise Direct. 2010-04-18.
- "2010 Fastest-Growing Franchises". Entrepreneur.
- Clark, Gerry (January 2000). "Bringing Back the Brand?". Dairy Foods.
- Fisk, Holly Celeste (September 1996). "Just Desserts: Yogurt Is but the Tip of the Iceberg for Yogen Fruz". Entrepreneur.
- Hamstra, Mark (1996-03-25). "Yogen Fruz Diversifies with ICBIY Buy". Nation's Restaurant News.
- Hamstra, Mark (1996-12-16). "Yogen Fruz Is Warming up to U.S. Stock Market". Nation's Restaurant News.
- Chu, Showwei, Freeze Play, Canadian Business, December 26, 1997, p. 77.
- Feinberg, Phyllis, Cold War: Thaw Reached in Frozen Treat Proxy Fight, Pensions & Investments, September 20, 1999, p. 8.
- Resistance Melts Away at Eskimo Pie: Firm to be Broken; Yogen Fruz Claims Victory, Plans Bid for Core Assets, Financial Post, September 9, 1999, p. C3.------,
- McHutchion, John, Yogen Fruz Takes on Six Countries, Toronto Star, July 2, 1996, p. D4.
- Rojo, Oscar, Yogen Fruz Expands Chain, Toronto Star, October 18, 1994, p. D9.
- Rubin, Sandra, A Cool, Smooth Investment, Hamilton Spectator, July 29, 1995, p. C11.
- Steinhart, David, Restructuring Holds Key to Evolution of Yogen Fruz, Financial Post, February 27, 1998, p. 25.
- Yogen Fruz Plans Cool New Name, Calgary Herald, February 11, 2000, p. E12.
- Yogen Fruz World-Wide, Ice Cream Reporter, November 20, 1999, p. 8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yogen Früz.|