Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose|
|Written by||Dennis Marks|
|Directed by||Ray Patterson
|Voices of||Daws Butler
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||William Hanna
|Running time||92 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hanna-Barbera Productions|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original release||September 26, 1987|
|Followed by||Top Cat and the Beverly Hills Cats|
Yogi leads his friends on a tour of the "Spruce Goose", built by billionaire Howard Hughes. While touring, they were accidentally locked inside the plane. To make matters more worse, the dome where the plane was located closed up for the night. Augie Doggie tripped over and opened a door. The gang came to the cockpit. Yogi accidentally pushed a button which magically activated the plane. Soon the gang exited the dome in the plane. In an attempt to avoid a bridge, Yogi pulls back the wheel, causing the Spruce Goose to lift off.
Yogi and his friends listen to the radio about a group of arctic animals down at the South Pole trapped by a snowstorm and unable to reach the open sea. So they fly down there to help. While flying over to the spot where the animals are trapped. They met Bernice, who had been on the Spruce Goose tour with her mom before getting lost herself. Soon they arrive to save the animals. They did that by having the Spruce Goose plow through the ice like a giant icebreaker and open a channel to the ocean. They succeeded, but their mission wasn't finished yet, as the penguins were attacked by sharks. So they got the plane to act as a bridge to get the penguins safely across the water.
Next, Yogi and his friends listen to the radio about a bunch of animals trapped on an ocean liner at the Zelman Sea, long after poachers kidnapped them and left them on the boat to die. They transform into "Earth animals" in an attempt to mingle among them. The gang arrives to save the animals. They tried to tow the ship by tying the ropes to the ship, but the doors opened up and caused the water to enter the ship. Quick Draw McGraw as El Kabong tried to rescue the animals himself but with little success. Then Bernice found a way to save the animals but, They couldn't find the doors since the nose of the plane was altered after its only flight years ago. The doors were finally located and opened up for the animals to enter the Spruce Goose.
The gang starts a search party, but unbeknownst to them something is lurking in the bushes listening in on them. The thing in the bushes is revealed to be Mumbly, who has crashed on the island along with the Dread Baron. Mumbly awakens The Dread Baron and attempts to tell him of the plane. The Dread Baron realizes the plane is the Spruce Goose, and that with it he can become rich. He notices Yogi and his gang and realizes his plans could be foiled by them. But after seeing Bernice with the gang, he devises a plan to get on the Spruce Goose and try to take it over.
On the Spruce Goose, DB and Mumbly did some cleanup work, so that they won't raise any suspicions Yogi checked up on them and find that they were doing a great job. Then DB throws a party for the gang supposedly as a matter of thanks. But the party was a trap as DB traps them in a cargo hold where the party was held. So now Dread Baron takes over the plane and he and Mumbly flew off to where they were supposed to go a long time ago.
They reached Moolah Moolah, which is filled with natives who worship an idol that looks like Dread Baron. They called it, "Malagula." Dread Baron posing as Malagula parachuted down to the ground and surprised the natives. Malagula wanted gold, so they gave tons to him. Meanwhile, the gang still locked in the cargo hold found a way to get out by tricking the native guarding the door. The gang confronted Dread Baron but he captured them and sent them to a hut to imprison them. Malagula and the natives surrounded the gang after they landed on the ground and were about to decide what to do with the gang next when the volcano started to erupt. With the natives and Malagula in shock, the gang escaped back to the plane.The volcano caused a fault to crack and destroy the Malagula idol. This caused the natives to believe the volcano was mad at Malagula and stop worshiping him and chased Dread Baron and Mumbly back to the plane. After that we get one last look at Merkin and Firkin who flew to Moolah Moolah. Boo Boo fears that they're now doomed and it looks as if Merkin and Firkin have it made. Naturally, Dread Baron disapproves and he and Mumbly jumped out to get it. DB tried to parachute down, but the parachute was taken by Mumbly as the new leader and Dread Baron this time as slave natives.
The gang flew back to Long Beach, California and the dome home of the Spruce Goose. The next day, the gang went home. Driving home, they hear the stories on the radio of how animals were saved at the South Pole and at the Zelman Sea, to which he claims nobody knows how it happened. Yogi claims he knows how it all happened as he and the gang cheer for the Spruce Goose.
- Daws Butler as Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, Snagglepuss, Augie Doggie
- Dave Coulier as Firkin
- Don Messick as Boo Boo Bear, Mumbly and Radio Announcer
- Marilyn Schreffler as Bernice
- John Stephenson as Doggie Daddy and Pelican
- Frank Welker as Merkin and Various Animals
- Paul Winchell as Dread Baron
- Bill Woodson as Movie Narrator
- "Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose"
- Executive Producers: William Hanna and Joseph Barbera
- Written by: Dennis Marks
- Producers: Berny Wolf and Jeff Hall
- Supervising Director: Ray Patterson
- Starring Daws Butler as the voice of Yogi Bear
- Character Voices: Dave Coulier, Don Messick, Marilyn Schreffler, John Stephenson, Frank Welker, Paul Winchell, Bill Woodson
- Creative Design: Iwao Takamoto
- Based on and idea by: Harry Love
- Recording Director: Gordon Hunt
- Animation Casting Director: Andrea Romano
- Talent Coordinator: Kris Zimmerman
- Music Composed and Conducted by: Sven Libaek
- Director of Music Supervision: Joanne Miller
- Directors: John Kimball, Art Davis, Rudy Zamora, Jay Sarbry, Oscar Dufau, Paul Sommers
- Graphics: Iraj Paran, Tom Wogatzke
- Title: Bill Perez
- Character Design: Bwana Takamoto, Kirk Hanson, Salene Weatherwax
- Animation Directors: Frank Andrina, Joan Drake, Oliver Callahan
- Layout: Fred Warter, Ron Roesch, Bill Proctor, Phil Lewis
- Key Background Supervisor: Al Gmuer
- Key Backgrounds: Eric Heschong, Fred Warter. Jeff Richards, Gloria Wood, Jeff Riche
- Animation Checking & Scene Planning: Paul B. Strickland
- Xerography: Star Wirth
- Character Color Key Supervision: Alison Leopold
- Color Key: Elrene Cowan
- Sound Direction: Alvy Dorman, Stan Wetzel
- Production Assistants: Mark Lesser, Sandy Benenati, VIcki Casper, Erika Grossbart, Debby Lathrop-Robbins, Ginger Robertson, Robin Strickland
- Supervising Film Editor: Larry C. Cowan
- Dubbing Supervisor: Pat Foley
- Music Editor: Joe Sandusky
- Sound Editor: David West
- Show Editor: Gil Iverson
- Negative Consultant: William DeBoer
- Post Production Supervisor: Joed Eaton
- Dialogue Editor: Michael Tomack
- 1/4" Editors: Kelly Foley, Paul Douglas
- Track Readers: Yvonne Palmer, Jim Hearn, Kay Douglas, Kerry Iverson, Lee-Tsu Aries
- Special thanks to the Weather Corporation for its cooperation with the production of this program., The SPRUCE GOOSE is located in Long Beach, California
- Produced in Association with: Wang Film Productions Co., Ltd., Cuckoo's Nest Studio
- Supervising Directors: Shivan Ramsaran, Janine Dawson, Bill Perkins
- Technical Advisor: Lynn Hoag
- Production Supervisor: Bob Marples
- This Picture Made Under the Jurisdiction of IATSE-IA Affiliated with A.F.L.-C.I.O.
- © 1987 Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Home media releases
On July 28, 1988VHS in the United States by Worldvision Home Video. However, as of 2009, the videocassette is now out of print. On December 7, 2010, Warner Archive released Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of Spruce Goose on DVD in NTSC picture format with all region encoding. This is a Manufacture-on-Demand (MOD) release, available exclusively through Warner's online store and Amazon.com., the movie was released on
Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears was released in 1988.
- "Amazon.com". Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose VHS release at Amazon.com.
- "The Yogi Bear Show DVD news: Yogi's Great Escape and Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose and Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears - TVShowsOnDVD.com". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose on IMDb
- The Big Cartoon Database – Movie Information and details.