|Headquarters||Springfield, Oregon United States|
Number of employees
In the 1960s and 70s, Yogi Bhajan served tea to his yoga students at the conclusion of classes, who began calling it “yogi tea.” In 1984 Bhajan publicly founded the company in Los Angeles, under the name Yogi Tea, before moving the business to Eugene, OR in 1992.
The brand operates in North America and Europe. In the US, the company manufactures in Springfield, Oregon and has additional offices in Portland, Oregon. It operates under the company name East West Tea Company LLC. In Europe, the company manufactures in Imola, Italy and has a branch in Hamburg, Germany. In Germany, the company name is YOGI TEA GmbH.
In 2010, Yogi Tea was sued by Yogi Bhajan's widow Bibiji Inderjit Kaur Puri, and the State of Oregon. The suits alleged that trusted advisers of the Yogi had forged documents relating to their take-over of the company. The lawsuit was settled on November 6, 2012.
- "Top Yogi Teas | CoffeeAndy - Your Source for the Best Rated Coffee and Accessories". Retrieved 2019-07-31.
- Martin, Douglas. "Yogi Bhajan, 75, 'Boss' of Worlds Spiritual and Capitalistic, Dies". NYT. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- McDonald, Sherri (July 11, 2015). "Parent Firm of Yogi Tea plans expansion". The Washington Times. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- McDonald, Sherri. "Yogi Tea builds its own place to grow". Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- McDonald, Sherri Buri (14 December 2010). "Yogi's widow sues managers". The Register Guard. Springfield, Oregon.
- McDonald, Sherri Buri (November 10, 2010). "State targets Golden Temple". The Register-Guard.
- "Records in lawsuit claim Golden Temple executives drew excessive compensation". Statesman Journal. The Associated Press. May 12, 2011.
- "Dispute over natural foods firm settled". The Columbian. The Register-Guard. November 6, 2012.