List of yogurt-based dishes and beverages
This is a list of yogurt-based dishes and beverages. Yogurt is a food produced by bacterial fermentation of milk. The bacteria used to make yogurt are known as "yogurt cultures". Fermentation of lactose by these bacteria produces lactic acid, which acts on milk protein to give yogurt its texture and its characteristic tang. Worldwide, cow's milk, the protein of which is mainly casein, is most commonly used to make yogurt. Milk from water buffalo, goats, ewes, mares, camels, and yaks is also used to produce yogurt in various parts of the world.
- Churri, a spicy Indian side dish
- Çılbır, Turkish egg dish
- Jameed, Jordanian yogurt strained cheese
- Kibbeh Labanie
- Mishti Doi
- Ash-e doogh, Iranian Azerbaijani thick yogurt soup
- Cacık or Tarator, cold yogurt soup from Turkey and Balkans
- Dovga, Azeribijani yogurt soup
- Tarator, Bulgarian cold yogurt soup with cucumbers and garlic
- Toyga soup, Turkish yogurt soup
- Shakriya, Levantine stew with lamb or beef.
- Yayla çorbası, Turkish yogurt soup
- Okroshka, Russian soup sometimes based on kefir
- Trahanas, Cypriot soup made of sun-dried dough of cracked wheat and yogurt (for Turkish/Anatolian version see Tarhana).
- Dahi chutney
- Greek yogurt or Labneh, strained yogurt
- Perugu Pachadi
- Raita, Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi yogurt side dish that can be sweet or savory
- Tzatziki, Greek yogurt dip
- Ayran, cold yogurt beverage of Turkic origin
- Borhani, Bangladeshi curd drink mixed with coriander, mustard seeds, mint and other spices
- Doogh, Iranian cold yogurt beverage, sometimes with mint or sparkling water
- Lassi, Indian thick, cold yogurt beverage, can be savory or sweet or mixed with fruit
- Matzoon, Armenian cold yogurt beverage
- Nai lao
- "What is yogurt?". culturesforhealth.com.
- Dina Ezza (3 August 2017). "Taboon: Lebanese but also Syrian cuisine in Zamalek". Al-Ahram.
- "Authentic Foods: Trahanas".