Shinkawa in 2008
Shinkawa was born in Hiroshima on 25 December 1971. He began working for game developer Konami in 1994 after graduating from Kyoto Seika University. He first worked as a debugger for the PC-98 version of Policenauts. He moved on to serve as art director for the later console ports of the game, then as the lead character and mecha designer for the Metal Gear series. He served as the art director for all the Kojima-directed Metal Gear Solid games, while also providing character designs for Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. He is the lead artist and character designer for Kojima Productions.
Shinkawa was inspired by anime and manga artists like Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and Yoshitaka Amano as well as Western artists such as Frank Miller, Aubrey Beardsley and Willy Pogany. He also draws inspiration from French artists such as Mœbius. Shinkawa uses felt-tip pens, especially the Pentel Brush Pen, as well as Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter. He is a fan of heavy metal and artists such as Megadeth, Rage, Killswitch Engage and Yngwie Malmsteen.
- Policenauts (1994)
- Metal Gear Solid (1998)
- Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (2000) (promotional illustrations)
- Zone of the Enders (2001)
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001)
- Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner (2003)
- Fu-un Shinsengumi (2004)
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (2004)
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (2004) (revised character portraits for re-releases)
- Fu-un Bakumatsu-den (2005)
- Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (2006)
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008)
- Metal Gear Solid: Rising (2009, unreleased) (character & mech design)
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010)
- Busō Shinki Battle Masters Mk. II (2010) (character/mechanical designs for Justice and Mimic)
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2013) (character/concept artist)
- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (2014) (character & mech design/art director)
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2015) (character & mech design/art director)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Zombies Chronicles (2017) (artist)
- Left Alive (2019) (character designer)
- Death Stranding (2019) (art director)
- Urban Hercules (illustrations)
- Frame Arms/Frame Arms Girl (mecha/character design for Byakko)
- Cook, Dave (23 April 2013). "The art of Metal Gear: Yoji Shinkawa's visual legacy". VG247. Archived from the original on 30 September 2019. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- Shinkawa, Yōji (1999). The art of metal gear solid. Tokyo: Konami. ISBN 4797309504. OCLC 675249617.
- Shinkawa, Yoji. "Yoji Shinkawa Interview". Metal Gear Solid: The Unofficial Site (Interview). Interviewed by Konami Computer Entertainment Japan. Archived from the original on 18 December 2019. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- Shinkawa, Yōji (2004). The art of metal gear solid. Version 1.5. Tokyo: Konami. ISBN 4797326808. OCLC 169873375.
- Romano, Sal (19 September 2017). "Square Enix announces survival action shooter Left Alive for PS4, PC". Gematsu. Archived from the original on 30 December 2019. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- The Art of Metal Gear Solid
- The Art of Metal Gear Solid 2
- The Art of Metal Gear Solid 1.5
- The Art of Metal Gear Solid: The Original Trilogy
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: Master Art Work
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: Official Art Works
- The Art of Metal Gear Solid V
- Visual Works of Anubis: Zone of the Enders
- The Art of Yoji Shinkawa Volumes 1-3
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Yoji Shinkawa|