Yokine, Western Australia
Perth, Western Australia
|Population||10,613 (2011 census)|
|• Density||2,166/km2 (5,610/sq mi)|
|Area||4.9 km2 (1.9 sq mi)|
|Location||7 km (4 mi) N of Perth CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Stirling|
|State electorate(s)||Mount Lawley|
Yokine was part of the grant originally allocated to TRC Walters in 1840. Western Australian Golf Limited owned Yokine from at least 1927 and subdivided a small portion of land near the golf course. Before World War II the only house in Yokine was at the eastern end of Royal Street. Yokine experienced a housing boom after the war and much of the area near the golf course was developed by the early 1950s. The southern area grew rapidly in the 1960s and by the late 1970s Yokine was almost completely developed.
Dog Swamp Shopping Centre
Dog Swamp Shopping Centre is a major shopping centre, located in Yokine.
The shopping centre was first opened in 1967. Prior to being taken over by the Westpac Diversified Property Trust, the centre was owned by the Foodland Associated Limited Property Trust. As of September 2007, the shopping centre has a 100% occupancy rate.
Flinders Shopping Centre
In 2014, the Dog Swamp Swamp Dogs entered the Street Roller Hockey League (SRHL) after it was announced that the league would be expanding to 28 teams making them the first and (currently) only franchise based in Yokine, Western Australia. The Swamp Dogs play the majority of their home games at 'Swampy's Wet Hole' in Mt Lawley although due to the odd clash with local rivals from North Perth and Greater Mount Lawley can often be seen playing around the corner an 'Swamp Log Forest' in Morley.
The suburb is served by a number of Transperth bus routes operated by Transdev Perth and Swan Transit. The 354, 370 and 870 (limited stop) (Mirrabooka-Perth) covers Flinders Street, while the 386 (Marangaroo-Perth), 387 and 388 (Warwick-Perth) and the 389 (Wanneroo-Perth) cover Wanneroo Road.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "State Suburbs: Yokine". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Yokine". City of Stirling. 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Yokine WA postcode". 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Investment Opportunity - FAL Property Trust" (PDF). Avery Financial Planning. Retrieved 2007-08-03.
- Matabiswana, Thembi. "Property Review" (PDF). Knight Frank LLP. Retrieved 2007-12-19.
- "Centro Flinders Shopping Centre". Retrieved 2014-10-07.
- 354, 370 and 870 Timetable Archived 23 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- 386, 387, 388, 389 Timetable Archived 12 March 2015 at the Wayback Machine.