|Also known as||La Potranquita|
|Born||Long Beach, CA|
Yolanda Pérez (born May 20, 1983) is an American singer-songwriter who specializes in banda music. She is sometimes known by the stage name "La Potranquita", (Spanish: "little filly"), a name taken by her father from his home city of Zacatecas, Mexico.
Perez was born in Los Angeles, California. Her family later moved to Montclair, California. She graduated from Montclair High School in 2001. When she was 11 years old, Perez won a music contest held in the Los Angeles-area Lynwood. As part of the prize package, she recorded an album that launched her musical career . She has since recorded several more albums. Her career was especially enhanced when she signed with the Fonovisa label, part of the Univision Music Group.
Perez followed in the footsteps of her father and grandparents who were also exponents of banda music. Her minor-label albums exhibited all the traditional characteristics of banda, but from Déjenme Llorar (2003) onwards she has combined the banda sound with modern elements such as rap as well as introducing set-piece dialogues into some tracks. Her music also shows other influences from hip hop and R&B artists - this has led her to include Spanglish phrasing in some lyrics, such as in the duet Estoy Enamorada with Don Cheto. Perez therefore, while continuing to exemplify traditional banda, has placed her own stamp and interpretation on this genre. In 2005, Pérez was nominated for an Urban Artist of the Year award at the 17th Lo Nuestro Awards.
Perez has also performed public service announcements and has been involved with other charitable work. In 2006 she volunteered to help with the "Got Milk" campaign, explaining that Latin American women tend to worry about outer beauty but need to also focus on their diet.
- Con la Banda Costa Grande
- La Potranquita de Zacatecas (Kimo's Music, 2001)
- Exitos: La Basurita / Cuentas Claras (2002)
- Dejenme Llorar (Fonovisa Records, 2003)
- La Potranquita Con Banda (Kimo's Music, 2004)
- Aquí Me Tienes (Fonovisa Records, 2004)
- Esto Es Amor (Fonovisa Records, 2005)
- Te Sigo Amando (Fonovisa Records, 2007)
- Todo De Mi (Fonovisa Records, 2008)
- Con Mariachi (Potranquita Music, 2010)
- "Univision Announces 'Premio Lo Nuestro' 2005 Nominees". Univision. Business Wire. December 2, 2004. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- (Spanish) Latin Music News Yolanda Perez (Hip Hop y Banda) con Got Milk Retrieved on September 4, 2009
|This article about a United States singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|