Yoon (Korean surname)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Yoon(윤) is the eighth most common family name in Korea. The name is sometimes also transliterated as Yun, Yune, or Youn. The Hanja character 尹 is defined as "eldest" in Korean which is different from the Chinese definition. The use of Hanja for personal names has become less common in Korea.
The Chinese character 尹 is also used by the following families Yǐn (surname) in China and as Doãn in Vietnam. However, the Korean surname Yoon(Yun) has no relations with the Yin of China and Doãn of Vietnam.
Clans and Notable History
The Papyeong (파평/坡平) Yoon clan, which has its seat in Papyeong-myeon, Paju City, is the most well-known and largest Yun clan. The clan's founding ancestor is General Yun Sin-dal, who assisted Wanggeon in founding the Goryeo Dynasty.
Last ruling Empress, Empress Sunjeong of the Korean Empire, was from another Yoon clan, Haepyeong Yoon. The Haepyeong Yoon clan was originally part of the Papyeong clan but broke away forming their own clan.
"Empress Sunjeong was born Lady Yun of Haepyeong in Seoul and her father was Marquis Yun Taek-yeong, the Lord of Haepung."
In 2002 a mummified woman with an unborn fetus was discovered in the Tomb of Yun Jeong-jeong. It is believed she is the granddaughter of Yun Won-hyung the brother of Queen Munjeong.
The 2000 South Korean census found 221,433 households claiming membership in the Papyeong clan, with a total population of 713,947.
When the tomb of Yoon Gwan was rediscovered in the 18th century, it sparked a 300-year-old family Feud between the Yoon and Shim Clan. The reason for the feud was because a member of the Shim clan was buried uphill from Yoon Gwan's tomb.
List of notable Yoons
- Yoon Bit-Garam, football player
- Yoon Bomi, singer, member of South Korean girl group Apink
- Yun Bong-gil, Korean independence activist
- Yoon Bora, a member of girl group SISTAR
- Yun Bo-seon, second president of South Korea
- Yoon Chaekyung, trainee under DSP Media
- Yoon Do-hyun, rock singer/songwriter
- Yun Dong-ju, poet active during the period of Japanese rule
- Yoon Doo-joon, singer, leader of boy band B2ST
- Yoon Eun-hye, actress and singer (Princess Hours, Coffee Prince)
- Yun Gwan, military general during the Goryeo dynasty.
- Isang Yun, composer
- James Yun, professional wrestler, better known under the stage name Jimmy Wang Yang.
- Yoon Je-kyoon, film director and producer (Sex Is Zero, Haeundae)
- Yoon Jeong-han, member of South Korean boy group Seventeen (band)
- Johnny Yune, comedian/actor (They Call Me Bruce?, The Cannonball Run)
- Yoon Jong-hwan, football player
- Yoon Jong-shin, singer and songwriter
- Karl Yune, actor (Memoirs of a Geisha, Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid)
- Yoon Kyung-shin, Olympic athlete and international handball player
- Yun Mi-jin, archer and Olympic gold medalist
- Yoon Mi-rae (born Natasha Shanta Reid), hip hop/R&B singer and rapper
- Rick Yune, model and actor (The Fast and the Furious, Die Another Day)
- Sang Yoon, Korean American restaurateur, chef and founder of Father's Office
- Yoon Sang-hyun, actor and singer (Queen of Housewives, Secret Garden)
- Yun Seon-do, notable poet in the Joseon Dynasty
- Yoon Shi-yoon, actor (King of Baking, Kim Takgu, Flower Boys Next Door)
- Yoon So-hee, actress
- Yoon Son-ha, actress (Did We Really Love?)
- Suk-min Yoon baseball player
- Yun Suk-young, footballer for South Korea and Queens Park Rangers
- Tommy Yune, writer/artist (Speed Racer) and director (Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles)
- Yun Yea-ji, figure skater
- Youn Yuh-jung, actress (Woman of Fire, The Housemaid)
- Steve Yeun, actor (The Walking Dead)
- Quest for perfect grave keeps Korean feud alive
- The 5 Most Epic Battles of Will That Would Not End
- 400-Year-Old Mummy Found to be Granddaughter of Queen Munjeong
- Quest for perfect grave keeps Korean feud alive - Asia - Pacific - International Herald Tribune
- Feuding Korean clans end 400-year fight over graves
|This page or section lists people with the surname Yoon. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|