May 11, 1968|
Seoul, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Yun Sang|
|Revised Romanization||I Yun-sang|
Lee Yoon-sang (Hangul: 이윤상; born May 11, 1968), known professionally as Yoon Sang, is a South Korean composer, record producer, singer and songwriter. He currently serves as a contemporary music professor at Sungshin Women's University.
Lee began his musical career as a bassist in a band supporting pop singer Kim Wan-sun. He received an offer for a solo debut from Kim Kwangsoo, now head of MBK Entertainment, in 1990 and released an album incorporating synthpop elements entitled Vol.1 to commercial success. The title song, "가려진 시간 사이로 (Between The Hidden Time / Between the Veiled Times)" was especially popular. Vol.1 was followed with Vol.2 Part 1 in 1991 and Vol.2 Part 2 in 1993. Vol.2 was the more avant-garde and experimental of the two albums but still found commercial success.
Lee's third album release, Renacimiento in 1996, consists of remakes of songs from his previous albums sung by French, Italian and American vocals with redone lyrics. Renacimiento was one of the first mainstream albums in Korea incorporating the world music genre and was also popular. Yoon Sang also released a techno album entitled Golden Hits as part of the music collaborative project "NoDance" with rock artist Shin Hae-chul.
After releasing 移徙 이사 (Migration) in 2002, Yoon Sang worked on composing and lyric-writing for SM Entertainment, penning songs for BoA and TVXQ, among other artists. In 2003 he released There Is A Man..., his fifth album, which incorporated rap, Latin, and electronic dance music. A track from that album entitled "길은 계속된다 (The road continues)" also incorporated glitch music. In 2008, Lee released a tribute album called YOONSANG SONGBOOK : Play With Him! with covers by many Korean groups, including electronic duo Peppertones and rock band My Aunt Mary (마이앤트메리).
In 2009, Lee released an eponymous glitch-focused album as part of project group called "mo:tet (모텟)" with fellow Korean musicians Kayip and Superdrive. The group was formed while Lee spent two semesters at the NYU School of Music Technology. Both Kayip (카입) and Superdrive (슈퍼드라이브) were experienced with electronic and IDM-focused music and Lee wanted to expand awareness of these types of music domestically. They finished producing the record by sending files over email and MySpace and held a showcase for the album at Hongik University.
|Album information||Track listing|
|Vol.1 (윤상 1집)
|Vol.2 Part 1 (윤상 2 (PART 1))
|Vol.2 Part 2 (윤상 2 (PART 2))
|Golden Hits (골든힛트) as NoDance (노땐스) with Shin Hae-chul
|Yoon Sang Best (ko:Yoon Sang Best)
|Migration (이사 or 移徙)
|There Is A Man... (ko:There Is A Man...)
- Lee, Eun-ho (November 16, 2015). "윤상, 12월 단독콘서트 개최…윤상 표 감성 보여준다". Tenasia. Retrieved 2015-11-25.
- "Faculty of Contemporary Music Department". Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- "걸프전 불황벗고 꾸준한 판매신장세". Yonhap News. 1991-03-06. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "<가요인기차트> 이현우 '꿈' 정상 회복". Yonhap News. 1992-09-18. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- Kim, Kyu-won (1996-05-24). "윤상 새 앨범 '레나시미엔토' Yoon Sang's New Album 'Renacimiento'". Naver News. The Hankyoreh. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "합작음반 낸 윤상·신해철 너무 다른 두 빛깔'즐거운실험' A joint venture music project, Shin Hae Chul and Yoon Sang 'A fun experiment'". Naver News. Kyunghyang Shinmun. 1996-10-02. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "'컴백' 윤상, 전자음악으로 감성 자극한 '모텟' 쇼케이스". Naver Entertainment. MyDaily. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "윤상의 일렉트로니카 그룹 '모텟' 첫 음반 Yoon Sang's electronica group "mo:tet"'s first album". Naver Entertainment. Yonhap News. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "윤상, "모텟 음악을 일렉트로니카라고 규정하고 싶진 않다"". Naver TV. Osen. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Kim, Dong-Joo. "[StarN Focus] 2015 Infinite Challenge Music Festival". StarN News. Retrieved 23 August 2016.