Yorba Linda, California
|Owned by||Orange County, California|
|Size||40,000 square feet (3,700 m2)|
|No. of graves||Over 400|
|Find a Grave||Yorba Cemetery|
In 1858, the hundred-square-foot plot of land was willed to the Catholic Church by Bernardo Yorba, as a burial ground to serve Yorba's family and friends. The last official burial occurred in 1939. There is also an even older burial ground north of the cemetery.
The Pink Lady
According to local legend, a ghost referred to as "The Pink Lady" appears at the cemetery on June 15. Some sources say that she is Alvina de los Reyes, a descendant of the Yorba family, and that she was killed in a buggy accident while returning from a dance at Valencia High School. There are no official reports of the ghost's appearance since the 1980s. Although the ghost herself has not been photographed, energy fields at the cemetery have.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Yorba Cemetery
- "Historic Yorba Cemetery". OC Parks. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Yorba himself is buried there. Bernardo Antonio Yorba at Find a Grave
- Sources are inconsistent as to the frequency of her appearances:
- Every fourth year, according to Taylor, Dave (June 26, 1980). "Psychic witnesses: 'Crazies, Liars and those convinced'". Yorba Linda Star. p. 1.
- Even-numbered years, according to Johnson, Eric (October 29, 1998). "City's sleeping spirit: Legendary Pink Lady hasn't appeared since sighted in the 1980's". Yorba Linda Star. p. 1.
- Bailey, Bruce (June 14, 1990). "'Pink Lady' Legend Has Roots in Fact". Yorba Linda Star. Yorba Linda, California. p. 2. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- Gaede, Susan (June 19, 1980). "Anybody see a Pink Lady?". Yorba Linda Star. p. 1.
- Her appearance is documented in Ignon, Lance (June 18, 1986). "You need an appointment to visit 'Pink Lady'". Yorba Linda Star. p. 8.
- Regarding her failure to appear on other years:
- Meier, Gisela (June 24, 1978). "Haunting Lady Stands up a Crowd of 200 Admirers". Yorba Linda Star. Yorba Linda, California. p. 2. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- Ignon, Lance (June 11, 1986). "Graveyard shift awaits date with 'Pink Lady': Will the Yorba Linda ghost stand them up again this year?". Yorba Linda Star. p. 5.
- Wallace, Renee (June 23, 1988). "Pink Lady fails to show". Yorba Linda Star. p. 4.
- Wallace, Renee (June 23, 1988). "Vigil for Pink Lady just a vapor of hope". Yorba Linda Star. p. 12.
- Ignon, Lance (December 3, 1986). "Ghost story—Yorba Linda style". Yorba Linda Star. p. 1.
- Northrop, Marie E. (June 1969). "The Yorba Family Cemetery: California's Oldest". National Genealogical Society Quarterly: 96–103.