|Full name||Yoris Grandjean|
20 March 1989 |
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||72 kg (159 lb)|
|Club||Liège Natation (BEL)
CN Antibes (FRA)
Yoris Grandjean (born March 20, 1989) is a Belgian swimmer, who specialized in sprint freestyle events. He won two gold medals at the 2006 FINA Youth World Swimming Championships, and later represented Belgium at the 2008 Summer Olympics. Since 2009, he still currently holds a Belgian record (22.13) in the 50 m freestyle from the national championships in Antwerp. Grandjean also trains for Liège Swimming Club (French: Club Natation Liège) under his head coach Andre Henvaux.
Grandjean made his international debut at the 2006 FINA Youth World Swimming Championships in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where he achieved a total of three medals, and established multiple meet records: two golds each in the 50 m freestyle (22.74) and 100 m freestyle (50.32), and a silver in the 200 m freestyle (1:52.20).
Entering his senior season, Grandjean competed in a sprint freestyle double at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. He achieved a FINA A-standard entry time of 49.09 (100 m freestyle) after finishing sixth from the European Championships in Eindhoven, Netherlands. In the 100 m freestyle, Grandjean placed nineteenth on the morning prelims. Swimming in heat seven, he blasted a new Belgian record of 48.82 in a Speedo techsuit, but narrowly missed the semifinal cut by only 0.27 of a second. Two days later, in the 50 m freestyle, Grandjean put up an astonishing swim with a fourth-place time and a Belgian record of 22.45 in heat nine, edging out Finland's Matti Rajakylä by a small fraction of a second. Grandjean failed to advance into the semifinals, as he placed twenty-eighth overall out of 97 swimmers in the prelims.
Grandjean was also selected as a reserve for the Belgian squad at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, but did not compete in the 4 × 200 m freestyle relay. His teammates Louis Croenen, Dieter Dekoninck, Pieter Timmers, and Glenn Surgeloose failed to reach the top 8 final, finishing only in twelfth place with a time of 7:14.44.
At the 2012 European Short Course Swimming Championships in Chartres, France, Grandjean solidified his Belgian team (Timmers, Emmanuel Vanluchene, and Jasper Aerents) to take the bronze in the 4×50 m freestyle relay, posting their time of 1:25.60.
- "Yoris Grandjean". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- "Grandjean uitgeschakeld in reeksen 50m vrij" [Grandjean sets off in 50m freestyle] (in Dutch). De Morgen. 31 July 2009. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Belgian Long Course Championships: Yoris Grandjean Tops Belgian Record". Swimming World Magazine. 3 May 2009. Archived from the original on June 5, 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Alain Bernard: 'Zonder Yoris ben ik niets'" [Alain Bernard: "Without Yoris, I am nothing"] (in Dutch). Het Nieuwsblad. 16 August 2008. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Big Day for United States at World Youth Champs". Swimming World Magazine. 25 August 2006. Archived from the original on May 20, 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Clary Posts Strong Finish to World Youth Champs". Swimming World Magazine. 28 August 2006. Archived from the original on May 13, 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Olympic Cut Sheet – Men's 100m Freestyle" (PDF). Swimming World Magazine. p. 6. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "European Championships: Day Four Recap, Results; Alain Bernard Downs 100 Free World Record; Anastasia Zueva, Ioannis Drymonakos Set Euro Records". Swimming World Magazine. 21 March 2008. Archived from the original on July 30, 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Men's 100m Freestyle Heat 7". Beijing 2008. NBC Olympics. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "OS 2008: Grandjean zwemt Belgisch record 100 meter vrij" [Olympics: Grandjean swims a Belgian record in the 100m free] (in Dutch). De Standaard. 12 August 2008. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Men's 50m Freestyle Heat 10". Beijing 2008. NBC Olympics. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "Yoris Grandjean zwemt ook op 50m Belgisch record" [Yoris Grandjean also swims a Belgian record in the 50m free] (in Dutch). Het Laatste Nieuws. 14 August 2008. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Men's 4×200m Freestyle Relay Heat 2". London 2012. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Hannah Miley, Rikke Moeller Pedersen set Euro records on last night of Euro Short Course Champs". Swimming World Magazine. 25 November 2012. Retrieved 21 April 2013.