York Central (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of York Central in North Yorkshire
Location of North Yorkshire within England
|Electorate||75,656 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Rachael Maskell (Labour Co-operative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||City of York|
|European Parliament constituency||Yorkshire and the Humber|
York Central is a parliamentary constituency[n 1] which is represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament by Rachael Maskell of the Labour Party and the Co-operative Party, making it the only constituency in North Yorkshire not currently represented by the Conservatives.[n 2]
After the 2005 general election the parliamentary representation in North Yorkshire was reviewed by the Boundary Commission for England, which recommended the division of the former City of York constituency before the 2010 general election leading to two constituencies within the borders of the city of York - York Central is entirely surrounded by York Outer.
York Central is formed from electoral wards from within the city of York.
Members of Parliament
|2010||Sir Hugh Bayley||Labour|
|2015||Rachael Maskell||Labour and Co-operative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||James Blanchard|
|Renew||Victor Zanchi (provisional)|
The Renew Party have selected a prospective parliamentary candidate, Victor Zanchi, but have expressed interest in a “Remain Alliance” with other pro-EU parties, and may ultimately choose not to stand their candidate.
|Liberal Democrat||Nick Love||2,475||4.7||-3.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Nick Love||3,804||8.0||-17.2|
|Yorkshire Party||Chris Whitwood||291||0.6||+0.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Christian Vassie||11,694||25.2||+5.0|
|Monster Raving Loony||Eddie Vee||154||0.3||+0.3|
- * Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "Y"
- York Lib Dems (6 November 2019). "James Blanchard selected to fight York Central this December!". Twitter. Retrieved 6 November 2019.
- "Prospective General Election Candidates". Green Party. Retrieved 13 October 2019.
- Maskell, Rachael (5 November 2019). "I seek, once more, the trust of the people of York..." Twitter. Retrieved 6 November 2019.
- "The Conservatives reveal their candidate for York Central". YorkMix. 11 November 2019. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- Party, The Renew (29 August 2019). "Renew Profile #22 Victor Zanchi - Prospective Parliamentary Candidate @vzanchi #YorkCentral".
- "Here's What Renew Can Bring To An Autumn Election". Renew Party.
- "York Central Constituency: Statement as to persons nominated" (PDF). City of York Council. 11 May 2017. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "Parliamentary election results June 2017". City of York Council. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "York Central Parliamentary constituency - Election 2017". Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "York Central". BBC News. Archived from the original on 13 May 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election 2010 - York Central". BBC News. Retrieved 16 June 2017.