York Township, Michigan
York Township, Michigan
|Charter Township of York|
York Township Hall
Location within Washtenaw County
|• Total||34.9 sq mi (90.3 km2)|
|• Land||34.7 sq mi (89.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||732 ft (223 m)|
|• Density||250/sq mi (96/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627299|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 34.9 square miles (90.3 km2), of which 34.7 square miles (89.9 km2) is land and 0.15 square miles (0.4 km2), or 0.47%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,392 people, 1,901 households, and 1,608 families residing in the township. The population density was 210.2 per square mile (81.2/km²). There were 1,936 housing units at an average density of 55.1 per square mile (21.3/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 83.75% White, 12.72% African American, 0.26% Native American, 1.04% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.84% from other races, and 1.38% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.06% of the population.
There were 1,901 households out of which 42.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 78.1% were married couples living together, 4.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.4% were non-families. 11.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.97 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.5% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 38.3% from 25 to 44, 26.9% from 45 to 64, and 6.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 160.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 182.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $84,232, and the median income for a family was $91,986. Males had a median income of $52,788 versus $36,189 for females. The per capita income for the township was $25,528. About 3.5% of families and 3.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 10.4% of those age 65 or over.
Toyota operates the Toyota Technical Center in the township. In 2004 the Michigan House of Representatives and the Michigan Senate passed legislation permitting the sale of 690 acres (280 ha) of land in the township to Toyota Technical Center USA so a research and development facility would be built there. The expanded technical center was scheduled to open in 2008.
Government and infrastructure
Parks and recreation
Two parks are operated by the township.
The 125-acre (51 ha) Sandra Richardson Park has soccer fields leased to the Saline Area Soccer Association, three walking trails, a 32-by-40-foot (9.8 by 12.2 m) picnic pavilion north of the park's parking lot, a sheltered picnic table, the historic Judd Road Bridge, two bridges crossing wet areas of the trails, a shelter gazebo located at the intersection of the three trails, and portable toilets. A 1.4-mile (2.3 km) walking trail opened in 2002, while a second trail opened in 2003. Boy Scout Eagle projects led to the installation of the picnic tables and bridges. In 2004 the York Township Parks and Recreation Community applied for a grant from the Michigan National Resources Trust Fund. The grant was awarded in 2005. The township used the grant funds and local match funds to build the pavilion and surface several park trails to make them compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The township also installed a handicapped parking pad near the pavilion, built the gazebo, and installed portable toilets. The township reseeded 5 acres (2.0 ha) of prairie with native grasses and wildflowers. The township re-installed the Judd Road Bridge. A boardwalk was built from a Boy Scout Eagle project. In 2005 the State of Michigan gave an additional 10 acres (4.0 ha) of land to the park.
The 38-acre (15 ha) Mary McCann Park consists of an open field and a wooded area, each taking about half of the park grounds. The park includes a 1-mile (1.6 km) walking/nature trail built in 2003 and a trail extension carved by a Boy Scout from Saline. Another Boy Scout built an open field and a pond. A teaching station for 30 students overlooks the field and pond.
- Mary Collins Whiting (1835–1912), lawyer, business woman, teacher
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: York Township, Michigan
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): York charter township, Washtenaw County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): York charter township, Washtenaw County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- "Research & Development Archived October 6, 2010, at the Wayback Machine." Toyota. Retrieved on May 18, 2010.
- "Precinct Map." York Charter Township. Retrieved on January 5, 2010.
- Butters, Jamie. "Article: Michigan bill allows Toyota to acquire prime site in York Township." Detroit Free Press. September 10, 2004. Retrieved on May 18, 2010.
- Snavely, Brent. "More than just jobs." Crain's Detroit Business. September 17, 2007. Retrieved on May 18, 2010.
- "FCI Milan Contact Information." Federal Bureau of Prisons. Retrieved on January 5, 2010.
- "MINUTES OF A REGULAR MEETING OF THE MILAN CITY COUNCIL HELD ON DECEMBER 7, 2009 AT 7:30 P.M. IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS, MILAN CITY HALL, 147 WABASH STREET, MILAN, MICHIGAN, 48160." City of Milan. Minutes approved December 7, 2009. Retrieved on January 5, 2010. "The City has a ten year agreement through the General Services Administration (GSA) to provide utility services to the Federal Corrections Institute and the Federal Detention Center, located in York Township, which expired September 30th."
- "Milan Area Schools." State of Michigan. Retrieved on May 18, 2010.
- "Saline Area Schools." State of Michigan. Retrieved on May 18, 2010.
- "South Harbor Academy." National Heritage Academies. Retrieved on May 18, 2010.
- "Township Parks Descriptions and Locations." York Charter Township. Retrieved on May 18, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to York Charter Township, Michigan.|