York Memorial Collegiate Institute
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|York Memorial Collegiate Institute|
Current building, damaged as of May 2019 due to fire (top)
Former Scarlett Heights Entrepreneurial Academy building to be used as a temporary home (bottom)
2690 Eglinton Avenue West
|School type||Public, high school|
|Motto||Macte Nova Virtute|
(Go Forth With New Strength)
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
(Board of Education for the City of York)
|Area trustee||Chris Tonks|
|School number||6697 / 954683|
|Team name||York Memorial Mustangs|
York Memorial Collegiate Institute (York Memorial CI, YMCI, York Memorial, or Memo) is a public secondary school that is part of the Toronto District School Board in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and is located at 2690 Eglinton Avenue West, at the corner of Eglinton Ave. W. and Trethewey Drive. The school is often referred to as "Memo" by its students.
York Memorial Collegiate Institute was opened in 1929.
In 1985 the building was designated as a heritage building by the York City Council.
On May 6 and 7, 2019, fires started in the YMCI building, which reached six-alarm status. The second fire caused sections of the roof and walls to collapse, as well as damage or destruction to the stained glass windows in the auditorium. All of the students are housed in nearby George Harvey Collegiate Institute.
York Memorial has Roadmap to University with Success with Honours (RUSH) and Advanced Placement (AP) programs. The RUSH program is an enrichment program that trains students for the full AP program. AP courses are offered in a wide variety of subjects.
There is also a Pre-Advanced Placement program (10 English, 11 Biology, 11 Physics, 11 Chemistry) which students attend in grades 10 to 11 before taking the AP program in grade 12.
- Samantha Bee – Comedian, The Daily Show correspondent
- Dave Devall – Retired weatherman
- D-Sisive – rapper
- Harry Sinden – Former Boston Bruins' president
- Gail Kim – WWE Wrestler/diva and TNA Knockout
- Alan Tonks – Canadian former Liberal MP
- Chris Alexander Tonks - Reeve, alderman of York, Ontario; father of Alan Tonks
- "Administration". SchoolWeb.TDSB.on.ca. Retrieved January 15, 2018.
- "York Memorial Collegiate Institute (GR. 09-12)". Toronto District School Board. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- "York Memorial Collegiate Institute". Architectural Conservancy Ontario
- "Fire rages at nearly century-old York Memorial, 2nd one in 12 hours". Rogers Media. 680 News. May 7, 2019. Retrieved May 7, 2019.
- Freeman, Joshua (May 8, 2019). "Firefighters remain at scene of large blaze that gutted section of York Memorial C.I." CP24 News. BellMedia. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- Official website
- TDSB Profile
- "York Memorial Collegiate Institute School profile" (PDF). Toronto District School Board. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)