York Memorial Collegiate Institute
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|York Memorial Collegiate Institute|
|2690 Eglinton Avenue West
Silverthorn, Toronto, Ontario, M6M 1T9
|School type||Public, high school|
|Motto||Macte Nova Virtute
(Go Forth With New Strength)
|School board||Toronto District School Board
(Board of Education for the City of York)
|Area trustee||Chris Tonks|
|School number||6697 / 954683|
|Colour(s)||Red and Gold|
|Team name||York Memorial Mustangs|
York Memorial Collegiate Institute (York Memorial CI, YMCI, York Memorial, or Memo) is a public secondary school that is part of the Toronto District School Board in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and is located at 2690 Eglinton Avenue West, at the corner of Eglinton Ave. W. and Trethewey Drive. The school is often referred to as "Memo" by its students.
York Memorial Collegiate Institute opened on January 30, 1930. Over 80% of graduates go on to university or college. Last year[when?] 55% of graduates were Ontario Scholars. In addition to a full range of academic courses from grades 9-12, York Memorial offers students specialized programs that include the R.U.S.H. (Road Map to University Success with Honours) and Gifted programs. Students enrolled in these specialized programs are expected to handle a more demanding academic curriculum. York Memorial is leading the way in offering a wide range (13 courses) of Advanced Placement courses in all subject areas and is currently ranked first among all public schools in Ontario. York Memorial AP students have gone on to prestigious universities around the world, including MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, U of T, York, Waterloo, Oxford, and Cambridge.
The York Memorial Mustangs have always been prominent in athletics. Trophies and red and gold banners line the halls of the school and the gym adding to the rich history of the school and community. The Mustangs have traditionally performed well in varsity ice hockey, table tennis, basketball, baseball, football, volleyball, soccer, track and field, cheerleading, and cross country. The Mustangs share rivalries with their Etobicoke neighbours, the Richview Saints (especially in hockey); the Etobicoke Rams; and the Scarlett Heights Wolfpack as well as their City of York rivals, the Runnymede Ravens, George Harvey Hawks and the Vaughan Road Vipers.
York Memorial has Roadmap to University with Success with Honours (RUSH) and Advanced Placement (AP) programs. The RUSH program is an enrichment program that trains students for the full AP program. AP courses are offered in a wide variety of subjects.
There is also a Pre-Advanced Placement program (10 English, 11 Biology, 11 Physics, 11 Chemistry) which students attend in grades 10 to 11 before taking the AP program in grade 12.
- Dave Devall - Retired Weatherman
- Harry Sinden - Former Boston Bruin's President
- Paul Hogan - Internationally Renowned Mime / Speed Sleeping World Record Holder
- Gail Kim - WWE Wrestler/Diva and TNA Knockout
- Alan Tonks - Former Canadian Liberal MP
- Samantha Bee - Comedian, Daily Show correspondent
- Glen Napao - NBA D-League Player, Semi-Professional Athlete
- Adriano Sorella - Racehorse Owner/Winner of 2013 Little Brown Jug/CEO Union Ad Sales
- John Catucci - Host, You Gotta Eat Here
- "York Memorial Collegiate Institute School profile" (PDF). Toronto District School Board. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- York Memorial Collegiate Institute
- TDSB Profile
- Library webpage
- Computer studies at York Memorial
- York Memorial Alumni
- CBC archives: Recording of Runnymede Collegiate Institute versus York Memorial Collegiate on the radio quiz show "I.Q.".
- Our Heritage