York Mills station
|Location||4015 Yonge Street
|Connections||York Mills Bus Terminal|
|Opened||31 March 1973|
|Rank||27th of 69|
York Mills is a subway station on the Yonge–University line in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located at 4015 Yonge Street at Wilson Avenue/York Mills Road. This is in Hoggs Hollow, one of the most affluent neighbourhoods in the city, where Yonge Street crosses the Don River.
The original bus terminal was above ground, in a standard island configuration surrounded by bus bays, and at that time was also used by GO Transit buses.
In 2007, this station became accessible with elevators.
By 2015, the tiles on the walls, floors and stairs had been replaced at this station. On the outer walls at track level the light green and very dark green tiles were replaced by light green metal panels with a dark green strip along the top. Moreover, in 2015 the station's parking lot was sold to developers.
- Northwest corner of Wilson and Yonge - street level entrance
- Northeast corner of York Mills and Yonge - entrance via York Mills Centre
- Old York Mills Road east of Yonge - Kiss and Ride, automatic entrance
A tapestry called “Breaking Ground” by artist Laurie Swim was installed in the station in 2010 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of an accident that took place in Hoggs Hollow. On March 17, 1960, the incident popularly known as the "Hoggs Hollow Disaster" occurred. Five young Italian immigrant workers were killed while constructing a tunnel for a water main. The details of the accident, where they were trapped 35 feet underground in a cramped, dimly lit tunnel, sparked a public outcry over the lack of safety standards in construction and ultimately led to an improvement in working conditions in Ontario.
Subway infrastructure in the vicinity
The line passes under the Don River West Branch just south of the station platforms. The original plan was for an elevated station and a high-level bridge over the river, but local residents objected and the underground layout was substituted. Consequently, trains approach the station from both directions on a steep downgrade.
- 78 St. Andrews to Bayview Avenue
- 95A York Mills to Kingston Road
- 95B York Mills to University of Toronto Scarborough
- 95C York Mills to Ellesmere RT Station (Rush hour service)
- 95E York Mills to University of Toronto Scarborough (Express service)
- 96A Wilson to Carrier Drive via Kipling Avenue and John Garland Boulevard
- 96B Wilson to Humberline Drive and Albion Road
- 96D Wilson to Carrier Drive and Westmore Drive
- 97A Yonge to Davisville Station via Yonge Boulevard
- 97B Yonge to Queens Quay (Rush Hour service)
- 97C Yonge northbound to Steeles Avenue and southbound to Lawrence Station (use curbside bus stops outside the station)
- 115 Silver Hills to Leslie Street and walkway to Oriole GO Station
- 122 Graydon Hall to Roywood Drive via Lesmill Road
- 165A Weston Rd North to Steeles Avenue
- 165C Weston Rd North to Wonderland Terminal (Canada's Wonderland seasonal) (Extra fare required north of Steeles Avenue)
- 165D Weston Rd North to Major Mackenzie Drive and Highway 400 (Extra fare required north of Steeles Avenue)
- 165F Weston Rd North to Canada Drive (Extra fare required north of Steeles Avenue)
- 186 Wilson Rocket to Humber College (Express service)
- 320A Blue Night Yonge to Queens Quay (Use curbside bus stops outside the station)
- 395 Blue Night York Mills to Meadowvale Road and Sheppard Avenue
- 396 Blue Night Wilson to Martin Grove Road and Steeles Avenue
- York Mills TTC parking lot slated for hotel, office complex
- "Subway ridership, 2015" (PDF). Toronto Transit Commission. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
This table shows the typical number of customer-trips made on each subway on an average weekday and the typical number of customers travelling to and from each station platform on an average weekday.
- "How did the TTC do on its 2014 customer charter promises?". CityNews. Retrieved April 2015.
delivery delay pushed back the wall tile replacement at York Mills to February 2015.Check date values in:
- "Fourth Financial Quarter, October 5, 2014 - December 31, 2014". Toronto Transit Commission. Retrieved April 2015. Check date values in:
- Patty Winsa (March 16, 2010). "Quilt unveiling marks 50 years since Hogg’s Hollow disaster". Toronto Star. Retrieved January 2012. Check date values in:
- "The Hoggs Hollow Disaster". Pipe Dreams. Metropolitan Toronto Archives. 1997. Retrieved January 2012. Check date values in:
- Bow, James (2006-11-10). "The North Yonge Extensions". Transit Toronto. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
Media related to York Mills Station at Wikimedia Commons