York Township, Darke County, Ohio
|York Township, Darke County, Ohio|
Fields in the township's far west
Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio.
|• Total||21.7 sq mi (56.3 km2)|
|• Land||21.7 sq mi (56.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,060 ft (323 m)|
|• Density||23/sq mi (9.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086028|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Wabash Township - north
- Patterson Township - northeast
- Wayne Township - southeast
- Richland Township - south
- Brown Township - southwest
- Allen Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in York Township.
Name and history
One of ten York Townships statewide, it is named after a farmer, Newberry York, who lived on Indian Creek in the township, and who was the first local Justice of the Peace. Born near Wrightsboro, Georgia on September 6, 1784, York served in the War of 1812 before moving to Darke County. He and his family first settled in Wayne Township before moving to what became York Township.
York Township was established in 1837 from land given by Richland Township.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Bill Barga, Michael Mangen, and James Zumbrink, and the clerk is Allen Brandt.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): York township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Wilson, Frazer Ells (1914). History of Darke County, Ohio, from its earliest settlement to the present time, Vol. 1. Milford, Ohio: Hobart Publishing Company. p. 586.
- The History of Darke County, Ohio. W. H. Beers & Company. 1880. p. 405.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees Archived June 15, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.