York University Heights
|York University Heights|
York University Heights, also known as Northwood Park, is a neighbourhood in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is one of Toronto's northern-most neighbourhoods, located along the northern boundary of Steeles Avenue in the former city of North York. The neighbourhood is so named because it contains the main campus of York University. This area is most popular with immigrants of Italian and Chinese descent who have established communities in the area. It is also home to many Jamaican, South East Asian and East Indian residents. It is located between Sheppard Avenue and Steeles Avenue east of Black Creek.
The majority of people in this neighbourhood live in high-rise buildings; however, it also contains a significant number of detached and semi-detached residences, as well as a recent new urbanism development, the Village at York.
The Village at York University
The Village at York University is one of the last major new-home developments within the City of Toronto including condominium townhouses, semi-detached and detached homes. First residents moved into the first phase of approximately 550 homes in the summer of 2005. A second phase, which started construction in 2007, adds about 300 more homes but includes no new townhouses. It is located just south of the York University campus, north of Finch Avenue.
Characteristics of The Village:
- It sits on land purchased from York University by the real estate developer Tribute Communities, within the boundaries of the city's secondary plan for York, and in some ways is still considered part of the university community. First-time buyers were given no-cost memberships to York's athletic facilities and privileges at its libraries. Many residents of the Village are York students and staff.
- The development's design is loosely based on what is called "new urbanism", the features of which include high density, garages opening to laneways in the back, and plenty of balconies and terraces.
- The neighbourhood is served by three stations on the Spadina subway extension. Pioneer Village station runs diagonally under the intersection of Steeles Avenue West and Northwest Gate. York University station is located in the York University Commons, and Finch West station has an exit at the corner of Keele and Four Winds Drive, less than 500m from the east end of The Village, according to the station layout recommended by the subway expansion environmental assessment.
- The Village, though no longer on university-owned land, is considered part of the broader university area by city planners, and is a component of the York University Secondary Plan.
- A significant number of homes in The Village offer -- or have been totally converted into -- student housing (the Toronto Star reported in the fall of 2007 that the Village had been "overrun" with students ).
The Village is served by a residents' group representing both renters and homeowners, which was incorporated in mid-2006. The Village at York Residents Association Inc. maintains its own website, containing news and local business listings.