Location in York County and the U.S. state of Pennsylvania.
|• Type||Borough Council|
|• Total||0.17 sq mi (0.44 km2)|
|• Land||0.17 sq mi (0.44 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||656 ft (200 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||230|
|• Density||1,345.03/sq mi (518.01/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Yorkana is a borough in York County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 229 at the 2010 census. It is a linear town, spread along Mt. Pisgah Road which is called Main Street in town. The borough includes several dozen houses, two churches, and a few businesses.
Yorkana is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 239 people, 95 households, and 66 families residing in the borough. The population density was 1,306.9 people per square mile (512.7/km2). There were 100 housing units at an average density of 546.8 per square mile (214.5/km2). The racial makeup of the borough was 100.00% White. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.26% of the population.
There were 95 households out of which 33.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.2% were married couples living together, 5.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.5% were non-families. 27.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the borough, the population was spread out with 25.5% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 30.5% from 25 to 44, 25.5% from 45 to 64, and 10.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 100.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.6 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $45,278, and the median income for a family was $43,125. Males had a median income of $38,333 versus $19,688 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $16,599. About 2.9% of families and 2.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under the age of eighteen or sixty five or over.
Yorkana is served by the Eastern York School District (one of 500 Pennsylvania public school districts). Students may also attend one of the Commonwealth's cyber charter schools at no additional cost to the family or student. The local public school district pays the Pennsylvania Department of Education set tuition fee to the public cyber charter school that the student chooses to attend. By Pennsylvania law, public charter school students have access to all extracurriculars and sports programs provided at the local public school district. Alternatively, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania permits parents to home school their children or they may attend a private school.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yorkana, Pennsylvania.|
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 14, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Yorkana borough, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- "History". Yorkana Borough. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on June 17, 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- National Center for Education Statistics, Common Core of Data - Eastern York School District, 2012
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Charter Schools, 2013