Yorketown, South Australia
27 May 1999 (locality)
|Time zone||ACST (UTC+9:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||ACST (UTC+10:30)|
|LGA(s)||Yorke Peninsula Council|
|Region||Yorke and Mid North|
Yorketown is a town and a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located in the southern Yorke Peninsula about 91 kilometres (57 mi) west of the state capital of Adelaide and about 70 kilometres (43 mi) south of the municipal seat of Maitland. At the 2016 census, the locality had a population of 969 of which 642 lived in its town centre.
Yorketown began as a private sub-division in section 85 of the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Melville in 1872. Its name was declared by the Surveyor General of South Australia as an official place name on 16 November 1995. Boundaries were created for the locality which was given the "long established name" of Yorketown on 27 May 1999. The area associated with Yorketown is known as Garrdinya by the Narungga, the aboriginal people of the Yorke Peninsula.
The Southern Yorke's Peninsula Pioneer was first published in Yorketown on 21 January 1898, and sold at a discounted price due to its late appearance. It was originally owned and established by Ben L. Wilkinson, and later helped by his brother Richard. In Issue 10, on 25 March that year, the newspaper adopted a simpler title, The Pioneer, later becoming part of the Yorke Peninsula Country Times from June 1970.
For thirty years an opposition newspaper, The Southern Yorke's Peninsula Clarion (1 February – 31 May 1902), simplified to the Clarion (7 June 1902 – 21 May 1931), also existed in the town too.
- "Search results for 'Yorketown, LOCB' with the following datasets being selected – 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Counties', 'Hundreds', 'Local Government Areas', 'SA Government Regions', 'Land Development Plan Zone Categories' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Yorketown (UCL)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Yorketown (state suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- Manning, Geoffrey H. (2012). "Search results for 'Yorketown'" (PDF). A Compendium of the Place Names of South Australia From Aaron Creek to Zion Hill With 54 Complementary Appendices Researched and written by Geoffrey H. Manning. Geoffrey H. Manning. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- Kentish, P.M. (27 May 1999). "GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES ACT 1991 Notice to Assign Boundaries and Names to Places (in the District Council of Yorke Peninsula)" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian government. p. 2696. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- "Yorketown, South Australia (Postcode)". postcodes-australia.com. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- Narungga (Map). Electoral District Boundaries Commission. 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "Federal electoral division of Grey". Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics EDITHBURGH". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- Kentish, P.M. (16 November 1995). "GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES ACT, 1991 Notice of Declaration of Names of Places" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian government. pp. 1351–1353. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- "General News". The Pioneer. Vol. I, no. 1. South Australia. 21 January 1898. p. 2. Retrieved 29 November 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- Laube, Anthony. "LibGuides: SA Newspapers: O-R". guides.slsa.sa.gov.au. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
Media related to Yorketown, South Australia at Wikimedia Commons
- Yorke Peninsula website
- Yorke Peninsula: Yorketown
- Harvest Corner Website Yorke Peninsula Visitor Information Centre at Minlaton