Yorkshire Dales National Park
|Yorkshire Dales National Park|
National park entrance sign, near Skipton
|Counties||North Yorkshire, Cumbria|
|- elevation||736 m (2,415 ft)|
|Area||1,769 km2 (683 sq mi)|
|National Park of England||1954|
|IUCN category||V - Protected Landscape/Seascape|
In 1954, an area of 1,770 square kilometres (680 sq mi) of Yorkshire, England, was designated as the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The park is 50 miles (80 km) north-east of Manchester; Leeds and Bradford lie to the south, while Kendal is to the west, Darlington to the north-east and Harrogate to the south-east. The national park does not include all of the Yorkshire Dales. Parts of the dales to the south and east of the national park form the Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The recently-approved westward extension of the park into Lancashire and Cumbria will encompass much of the area between the current park and the M6 motorway, increasing the area by nearly 24% and coming close to the towns of Kirkby Lonsdale, Kirkby Stephen and Appleby-in-Westmorland.
Over 20,000 residents live and work in the park, which attracts over eight million visitors every year. The area has a large collection of activities for visitors. For example, many people come to the Dales for walking or exercise. The National Park is crossed by several long-distance routes including the Pennine Way, the Dales Way, the Coast to Coast Walk and the Pennine Bridleway. Cycling is also popular and there are several cycleways.
Other places and sights within the National Park include:
- Bolton Castle
- Cautley Spout waterfall
- Gaping Gill
- Gayle Mill
- Hardraw Force
- Horton in Ribblesdale
- Kisdon Force (waterfall) in Swaledale
- Malham Cove and Gordale Scar
- Settle and Carlisle Railway including the Ribblehead Viaduct
- The Yorkshire Three Peaks
- Ray Woolmore (May 2002). "Yorkshire Dales National Park" (PDF). Designation History Series. Natural England. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Welcome to the Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Natural England - Lakes to Dales Landscape Designation Project
- "BBC News - Yorkshire Dales National Park expansion plans agreed". 28 September 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- Yorkshire Post
- BBC website
- "Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority - Tourism Education file" (PDF). www.yorkshiredales.org.uk. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority - Things to do
- Cycle the Dales
- Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority - Dales Countryside Museum
- Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority - National Park Centres