Yosef Yitzchak Jacobson
Yosef Yitzchak Jacobson
|Born||1972 (age 47–48)|
|Other names||YY Jacobson|
|Known for||Public speaking|
Early life and career
Yosef Yitzchak Jacobson was born on 11 June 1972 in Crown Heights, Brooklyn and grew up there as part of a Chabad Hasidic family. He started his studies in Oholei Torah, after which he moved to study in Chabad's Central Tomchei Temimim Yeshiva of 770 Eastern Parkway.
In 1988, at the age of 15, Yosef Yitzchak was recruited by his brother Simon to join the team that prepared the public addresses of Menachem Mendel Schneerson for publication. This role is known as a choizer or meiniach. Not being able to use recording devices because of Shabbat and Jewish Holidays observance, they were charged with memorizing talks, lasting many hours. After Shabbat or the Jewish Holidays he would get together with the rest of the team to transcribe those public addresses.
Jacobson was initially tested on his semikhah (rabbinic ordination) by Pinhas Hirschprung as well as by Zalman Labkowsky. Having to still complete a last part of his test, Jacobson returned to 770 in 2011 to get tested and receive his rabbinical ordination through Labkowsky.
In 2005, Jacobson followed in the footsteps of his late father Gershon Jacobson as editor-in-chief of the Yiddish weekly Algemeiner Journal, which he contributed to for a number of years. He is a mashpia (spiritual mentor) at the Chovevei Torah Yeshiva in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, and a teacher at the Ohr Chaim Learning Center in Monsey, New York.
Jacobson holds public talks on many subjects. Some noted talks included:
- The role of religious leaders in today's world.
- The Rebbe and the Rav.
- Spiritual Leadership in Persistent Conflict
Jacobson authored the following series
- "A Tale of Two Souls" on the Tanya
- "A Journey Through the fundamentals of chassidus" in conjunction with Mayan Yisroel of Flatbush
- Emunah Series
- Captain, My Captain
Jacobson lives with his family in Monsey. His siblings are author Simon Jacobson, Boruch Jacobson—a Chabad shliach at Hunter College, Freida Hecht of Norwalk, Connecticut and Chana Krasnianski of Manhattan.
- "How the Rebbe's discourses were captured in print". jhvonline.com. Retrieved 2019-04-14.
- "Yosef Y. Jacobson". Algemeiner.com. Retrieved 2019-04-14.
- Chabad On Line. "Did Jacobson Pass the Test?". collive. Retrieved 2019-04-14.
- "Roman Catholic Cardinals Attend Lecture by Hasidic Rabbi". The Vicious Babushka. Retrieved 2019-04-14.
- Chabad On Line. "Cardinals Visit Crown Heights". collive. Retrieved 2019-04-14.
- ""The Rebbe and the Rav" Event Draws Hundreds". The Commentator. 2014-05-14. Retrieved 2019-04-14.
- "Chabad Lubavitch Brooklyn New York NY World Headquarters". Retrieved 2019-04-14.
- "Tanya - A Tale of Two Souls presented by Rabbi Yosef Y. Jacobson". www.chassidus.com. Retrieved 2019-04-14.
- "soultweak | Rabbi YY Jacobson". Living Soul | Holy Light | Torah. Retrieved 2019-04-14.
- "Emunah Series". theyeshiva.net. Retrieved 2019-04-14.