Yoshida dormitory, Kyoto University
||This article has an unclear citation style. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (December 2014) (|
The Yoshida Dormitory (吉田寮 Yoshidaryō) is a student dormitory on the Yoshida Campus of Kyoto University. Built in 1913, it is the oldest student dormitory in Japan and remains in active use; its associated dining hall, built in 1889, is the oldest structure on any Kyoto University campus.
The community agreed to create the dormitory with the student body taking administrative responsibility. The high student activism continued up until it met conflict with university authorities in 1971.[clarification needed]
In June 2009, Kyoto University authorities proposed a plan for the partial demolition of the old dormitory to increase on-campus living capacity. The proposal was controversial.[why?] In October 2009, an informal debate was held between university authorities and the community, leading to the demise or the proposal.[clarification needed]
Yoshida Dormitory Festival
The Yoshida Dormitory Festival is one of the largest of the many events at Kyoto University. It is held in May every year and is open to external participants. Among its events are the Kamogawa Race, in which participants run from Sanzyō Big Bridge to Demachiyanagi via Kamo River, preceded by a costume party and river swim.
The Yoshida dormitory consists of 120 Japanese-style rooms and has a kitchen, showers, bathrooms, laundry rooms, common rooms, and a vegetable garden.
- 150529: 京都大学吉田寮の保存活用に関する要望書（近畿支部） 日本建築学会 2015年5月29日
- 京都大学寄宿舎吉田寮食堂建築物の調査実測によるその京都大学内で最古の建築物である実証 山根芳洋 七灯社建築研究所
- Yoshidaryo: Japan's most famously decrepit dormitory
- 吉田寮 改築 予算 見通し立たず 商店 は 品等 と 食堂. (2009, June 1). Kyoto University Press. Retrieved from: [July 3, 2014].
- 吉田寮 建て替え提案 白紙に. (n.d.). Kyoto University Press. Retrieved: [http://www.kyoto-up.org/archives/87 吉田寮 建て替え提案白紙に [July 3, 2014]
- Yoshida dormitory festival Committee. (2014, June 7). The summary of Hitch race 2014 Retrieved: [July 17, 2014].
- Itoken (2009, July 7). Ryōsai no nidai event-Hitch race to Kamogawa race-(The two main events of the dormitory festival-Hitch race and Kamogawa race-). Retrieved: [July 17, 2014].
|This article about a Japanese institute of higher education or related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|