Yoshiki Tanaka (田中 芳樹 Tanaka Yoshiki, born October 22, 1952) is a Japanese novelist. He was born in Kumamoto Prefecture and took his doctorate degree in Japanese Language and Literature in the Graduate School of Gakushūin University in Tokyo.
His major works include the fantasy novel series Arslan Senki (アルスラーン戦記), also known as The Heroic Legend of Arslan, and the sci-fi space opera novel series entitled Ginga eiyū densetsu (銀河英雄伝説), also known as Legend of the Galactic Heroes, both of which were adapted as anime and manga. His fantasy works also include the novel series Sohryuden: Legend of the Dragon Kings (創竜伝) that was also adapted as anime.
Tanaka is an avid fan of Chinese history and wrote some novels set in China. He also published two arranged-translations of Chinese literature: "Sui Tang Yanyi" (隋唐演義, "Stories of Sui and Tang Dynasties") and "Shuo Yue Quan Zhuan" (說岳全傳, "Telling the Complete Biography of Yue Fei") as "Gakuhi-den" (岳飛伝, "The Story of Yue Fei"). He is also familiar with Persian history, which Arslan Senki is based on.
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Ginga eiyū densetsu 銀河英雄伝説, 1981–1987)
- The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Arslan Senki アルスラーン戦記, Part One 1986–1990, Part Two 1991–ongoing)
- Sohryuden: Legend of the Dragon Kings (Sohryuden 創竜伝, 1987–ongoing)
- Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo (薬師寺涼子の怪奇事件簿, 1996–2010)
- Tytania (タイタニア, 1988–1991)
- Ambition Waltz (Yabou Enbukyoku 野望円舞曲, co-authored with Yuki Oginome)
- Wright Staff Online - official website (Japanese)
- Official Blog (Japanese)
- J'Lit | Authors : Yoshiki Tanaka | Books from Japan (English)
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes Information Center (English)
- Yoshishi Tanaka entry in the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (English)
|This article about a Japanese writer, poet, or screenwriter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This fantasy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|