You're My Everything (The Temptations song)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"You're My Everything"|
|Single by The Temptations|
|from the album The Temptations with a Lot o' Soul|
|B-side||"I've Been Good To You"|
|Released||June 13, 1967|
|Recorded||Hitsville USA (Studio A); 1967|
|Songwriter(s)||Norman Whitfield |
|The Temptations singles chronology|
|The Temptations with a Lot O' Soul track listing|
"You're My Everything" is a 1967 hit single recorded by The Temptations for the Gordy (Motown) label. It is the first of three singles (and four songs) to be co-written for the group by Motown songwriter Roger Penzabene. It reached number three on the U.S. R&B chart and number six on the U.S. Pop chart. It would be the third single from the group's 1967 album The Temptations with a Lot o' Soul.
This is one of the small handful of A-sides led by Eddie Kendricks since David Ruffin (who leads on the bridge and ad-libs on the outro) became the Temptations' lead singer, the last one was the 1966 song "Get Ready". As the song's main narrator, Kendricks tells his girl just how much she really means to him.
- Now, I was blessed the day I found you,
- Gonna build my whole world around you,
- You're everything good girl, and you're all that matters to me
The single is backed by a cover of The Miracles' "I've Been Good To You", also led by Kendricks. As such, it is one of the handful of singles by The Temptations where both sides charted (it peaked at 24 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 charts).
- Lead vocals by Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin (bridge and outro)
- Background vocals by David Ruffin, Melvin Franklin, Paul Williams, and Otis Williams
- Guitar by Cornelius Grant
- Other instrumentation by The Funk Brothers
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 571.
- The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 7: 1967 [CD liner notes]. New York: Hip-O Select/Motown/Universal Records