You're All I Wanna Do
|"You're All I Wanna Do"|
|Single by Cheap Trick|
|from the album Woke up with a Monster|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
|Songwriter(s)||Jim Peterik, Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander, Terry Reid, Tom Petersson|
|Cheap Trick singles chronology|
Japanese promo cover of "You're All I Wanna Do"
"You're All I Wanna Do" is a single by American rock band Cheap Trick, released as the second single from their 1994 album Woke up with a Monster. The song was written by Jim Peterik, Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander, Terry Reid and Tom Petersson.
The b-side "Cry Baby" was featured on the same album, written by Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander and Tom Petersson.
A music video was released to promote the single.
- CD Single
- "You're All I Wanna Do" - 4:03
- "Cry Baby" - 4:20
- CD Single (Japanese DJ Copy Promo)
- "You're All I Wanna Do" - 4:03
In a review of the single, including the b-side, Allmusic.com gave three out of five stars, writing "Without question the best song on Cheap Trick's disastrous Woke Up With a Monster, "You're All I Wanna Do" is also one of the best songs of the quartet's quarter-century career (sweet video as well). With help from Survivor Jim Peterik and Trick idol Terry Reid, this delectable slice of skinny-tie power pop proves the veterans still rule the roost when they keep all eyes on the prize of a solid track, not a smash ballad or disposable novelty. The crummy self-referencing "Cry Baby" on the flip exemplifies all the negative traits previously mentioned."
In the review for the album "Woke up with a Monster", allmusic.com wrote "If their power pop is a little over the top, underneath are some very good songs: "Didn't Know I Had It," "Tell Me Everything," "You're All I Wanna Do."
Allmusic.com picks the track as an AMG recommended track.
Rolling Stone magazine spoke of the song in a review of the album "You're All I Wanna Do" is as tidy a power-pop number as Cheap Trick have knocked off in a dog's age."
In the 2007 book "Shake Some Action: The Ultimate Power Pop Guide", a section on Cheap Trick featured reviews on the top 20 stand-out tracks from the band. One track included was "You're All I Wanna Do", where the author John M. Borack wrote "This fab, straightforward pop number (from the relatively disappointing "Woke up with a Monster") is graced with one of those patented Cheap Trick singalong choruses."
Reviewer George Starostin reviewed the album for his site, where he spoke of the song, stating "The opening track, "My Gang" is a nice little chunk of hard rock, and "You're All I Wanna Do" is a pleasant slice of anthemicly gushy power-pop. Whoah - that's two good (gulp) songs. They haven't batted that high since Next Position Please."
|Japanese Singles Chart (Tokyo)||13|
- Robin Zander - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Rick Nielsen - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Tom Petersson - bass, backing vocals
- Bun E. Carlos - drums, percussion
- Ted Templeman - Producer
- Joanie Parker - Production Coordinator
- Lenny Waronker - Executive Producer
- Jeff Hendrickson - Engineer
- Bino Espinoza - Assistant Engineer
- Judy Kirschner - Assistant Engineer
- Kenji Nakai - Assistant Engineer
- Kimm James - Assistant Engineer
- Scott Blockland - Assistant Engineer
- Ulrich Wild - Assistant Engineer
- George Marino - Masterer
- Dave Wilmer - Guitar Technician
- Chuck Elias - Drum Technician
- Ken Adamany - Management
- Mike Herl - Coordinator Management
- Roberta Petersen - A&R Direction
- Writers of "You're All I Wanna Do" – Jim Peterik, Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander, Terry Reid, Tom Petersson
- Writers of "Cry Baby" – Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander, Tom Petersson
- Sinclair, Tom (2 June 1994). "Cheap Trick – Woke Up With A Monster". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Cheap Trick - Woke Up With A Monster (CD, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick You're All I Wanna Do Japan 3" CD SINGLE (126428)". Eil.com. 1998-11-25. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick You're All I Wanna Do Japan Promo 5" CD SINGLE (119086)". Eil.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick - Woke Up With A Monster at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "J-WAVE WEBSITE : TOKIO HOT100". J-wave.co.jp. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Song artist 616 - Cheap Trick". Tsort.info. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick - You're All I Wanna Do". YouTube. 2009-01-18. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- Stone, Doug (1994-08-09). "You're All I Wanna Do - Cheap Trick : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- Connolly, Dave (1994-03-22). "Woke Up With a Monster - Cheap Trick". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- Tom Sinclair (1994-06-02). "Woke Up With a Monster | Album Reviews". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- Shake Some Action - The Ultimate Guide To Power Pop - John M. Borack - Google Books. Books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Cheap Trick Reviews". Starling.rinet.ru. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Song artist 617 - Cheap Trick". Tsort.info. Retrieved 2013-03-08.