You're Beautiful (TV series)
Promotional poster for You're Beautiful
|Also known as||He's Beautiful|
|Written by||Hong Jung-eun|
|Directed by||Hong Sung-chang|
|Opening theme||"Promise" by A.N.Jell|
|Ending theme||"Still" by Lee Hong-gi|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Executive producer(s)||Jo Nam-guk|
|Production location(s)||South Korea, Japan|
|Running time||60 minutes|
Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 (KST)
|Production company(s)||Bon Factory Worldwide|
MI Inc. (formerly Market Insight Inc.)
|Distributor||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original network||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
|Original release||7 October– 26 November 2009|
|Preceded by||Swallow the Sun|
|Followed by||Will It Snow for Christmas?|
|Related shows||Ikemen desu ne |
You're Beautiful (Hangul: 미남이시네요; Hanja: 美男이시네요; RR: Minamisineyo) is a 2009 South Korean television series, starring Jang Keun-suk, Park Shin-hye, Jung Yong-hwa of CN Blue and Lee Hong-gi of F.T. Island. The series follows fictional musician band, A.N.JELL and how the relationship between its members changes when a girl posing as her twin brother joins the band. It aired on SBS from October 7 to November 26, 2009 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 for 16 episodes.
A Japanese remake of this drama aired in Japan in 2011 with the title Ikemen desu ne, and included a cameo appearance by Jang Keun-suk in episode 8 as himself. A Taiwanese remake, Fabulous Boys was broadcast in 2013, which included a cameo by Park Shin-hye in the first episode as Go Mi-nyeo.
Go Mi Nyeo (Park Shin-hye) has lived at an orphanage with her twin brother, Go Mi Nam, since childhood after their father died. Years later, Mi-nam becomes a music idol and Mi-nyeo lives in a junior nun dorm to fulfill her dream of becoming a nun. One day, Mi-nam successfully auditions for and wins the "A.N Entertainment" vocal auditions to join the musical band A.N.Jell. However, he must leave for the United States in order to correct his botched plastic surgery. Mi-nam's manager, Ma Hoon-yi (Kim In-kwon) approaches Mi-nyeo and requests her to pose as Mi-nam for a month till he recovers. Mi-nyeo is against it at first, but eventually agrees, as a path to fame would give the twins an opportunity to find their mother. Thus, Mi-nyeo poses as her brother and joins the band A.N.Jell, where she meets its members: the arrogant Hwang Tae-kyung (Jang Keun-suk), the gentle Kang Shin-woo (Jung Yong-hwa) and the bubbly Jeremy (Lee Hong-gi).
At first, Tae-kyung is against Mi-nam's addition and makes her life hard, while Shin-woo and Jeremy are friendly to her. Eventually, Tae-kyung discovers that Mi-nam is a girl and threatens to reveal it, but Mi-nam manages to win him over. Through their interactions, Tae-kyung began to develop feelings for Mi-nam. Shin-woo and Jeremy also developed feelings for her, even though the latter thinks that Mi-nam is a boy. As Mi-nyeo struggles to hide her secret from the media while performing with A.N.JELL, she discovers her mother's past, which is somehow connected with Tae-kyung.
- Park Shin-hye as Go Mi-nyeo/Gemma (female) and Go Mi-nam (male; Oh Hee-joon plays Mi-nam's body double in ep. 15)
- A sweet and naive girl who aspires to become a nun. She later disguises herself as her twin brother in order to help keep his place in the band A.N.JELL, and to search for their mother.
- Jang Keun-suk as Hwang Tae-kyung
- Lead vocalist and guitarist of A.N.JELL. Tae-kyung harbours a cold exterior but grows softer as he began to fall for Mi-nyeo. He is troubled by his past, and his distanced relationship with his mother.
- Jung Yong-hwa as Kang Shin-woo
- Bassist, rapper and keyboardist of A.N.JELL. Shin-woo was the first to discover Mi-nyeo's female identity, though he does not reveal this to anyone, including Mi-nyeo. Warm and gentle, he acts as Mi-nyeo's guardian, staying by her side and protecting her.
- Lee Hong-gi as Jeremy
- Vocalist and drummer of A.N.JELL. Bright and optimistic, Jeremy tends to be oblivious of things around him. He begins to develop feelings for Mi-nyeo, and questions his sexuality because of it.
- Uee as Yoo He-yi
- A double-faced actress who later falls for Tae-kyung.
- Kim In-kwon as Ma Hoon-yi
- Mi-nam's manager.
- Kim Sung-ryung as Mo Hwa-ran
- Famous actress and solo singer. She is Hwang Tae-kyung's "hidden" mother who abandoned him to be with her lover, also Mi-nyeo's father.
- Jung Chan as Ahn Seong-chang
- President of talent agency A.N Entertainment.
- Choi Soo-eun as "Coordi" Wang
- Stylist of A.N.JELL.
- Bae Geu-rin as Sa Yu-ri
- A.N.JELL fan club president.
- Choi Ran as Go Mi-ja
- Mi-nam and Mi-nyeo's aunt.
- Jang Won-young as Kim Young-ho
- Photographer of Nara Daily News.
- Kim Dong-yeon as Kim Dong-jun
- Mi-nam's high school friend who has a crush on Mi-nyeo, an extra in "Mi-nam"'s music video.
- Tae Hwang as assistant
- Kim Min-chan as backup dancer
- Seong Byeong-suk as head nun
- Jeon Hye-yeong & Kim Min-yeong as A.N.JELL fanclub members
- Lee Jooyeon & Yoo So-young as girl group "Before School"
- Yoo Seung-ho as convenience store customer (Episode 9)
- Title: 미남이시네요 OST Part 1 / You're Beautiful OST Part 1
- Artist: Various Artists
- Language: Korean, English
- Release Date: 2009-Oct-14
- Number of Tracks: 11
- Publisher: Sony Music (소니뮤직)
- Agency: FNC Music
- Still 여전히 - Lee Hong Ki
- Descend from the Sky 하늘에서 내려와 - Miss $ (Oh Yoo Mi (오유미), Jace (제이스), Kang Min Hee) feat. Oh Won Bin
- Without Words 말도 없이 - 9th STREET (나인 스트릿)
- Lovely Day - Park Shin Hye
- Promise 약속 - Lee Hong Ki feat. Jung Yong Hwa
- My heart is cursing 가슴이 욕해 - Kim Dong Wook
- Without Words 말도 없이 - Park Shin Hye
- Still 여전히 - A.N.JELL
- Promise 약속 - A.N.JELL
- Without Words (Piano Ver.) 말도 없이 (Piano Ver.) - Various Artists
- Still (Bossa Ver.) 여전히 (Bossa Ver.) - Various Artists
Jang Keun-suk and Park Shin-hye were both cast first, with director Hong Sung-chang stating that the two were well-suited to convey the "fresh" idol stars concept he wanted. Lee Hong-gi (a singer with the idol group F.T. Island) had been a child actor, and this was his acting comeback after a five-year break (his last acting project being Kkangsoon in 2005). Jung Yong-hwa made his acting debut with this role, which he auditioned for whilst preparing to debut with his band CN Blue in Japan.
During its run, several car companies offered to have their cars be used on the drama for promotional purposes. The latest car from the German automaker Audi introduced their Audi S4 on the miniseries, with Jang Keun-suk driving it.
Due to the popularity of the show, the soundtrack album of the miniseries sold 20,000 copies within its first seven days of release. The album became a top seller on various music sites, such as MelOn, Dosirak, and Mnet. At the end of 2011, the album amassed a total of 57,000 copies in South Korea. The album was written and produced by Han Sung-ho, who also worked on the dramas Lovers, On Air, and Brilliant Legacy.
Because the drama features a concert footage of A.N.JELL in it, the cast members actually performed a mini-concert, where it was reported that as many 25,000 fans showed up. The group performed the songs "Promise" and "Still". Jang Keun-suk also sang "Good Bye" and "What Should I Do", the latter is the track Tae-kyung remakes for his mother in the drama. Park Shin-hye sang her character’s theme song, "Lovely Day".
The series was also broadcast throughout Asia. It aired on channels such as Fuji TV in Japan, CCTV in China, BBTV in Thailand, 8TV in Malaysia on 2010, Channel U in Singapore, Indosiar in Indonesia, Mbc4 in UAE and ABS-CBN in Philippines When the series was broadcast in Japan on Fuji TV, it scored very high ratings beating out all of its competitors in its timeslot. The series became so popular in Japan it is believed to have overtaken the popularity of Winter Sonata, another popular Korean drama in Japan.
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||7 October 2009||10.8%||11.6%||9.2%||9.7%|
|2||8 October 2009||9.6%||10.2%||7.6%||8.0%|
|3||14 October 2009||8.3%||8.5%||7.5%||8.1%|
|4||15 October 2009||8.9%||9.4%||7.7%||7.9%|
|5||21 October 2009||9.0%||9.2%||8.4%||8.5%|
|6||22 October 2009||10.0%||10.2%||8.9%||9.4%|
|7||28 October 2009||9.6%||10.2%||8.6%||8.8%|
|8||29 October 2009||9.8%||10.3%||9.0%||9.3%|
|9||4 November 2009||9.8%||10.3%||9.4%||9.6%|
|10||5 November 2009||10.0%||10.5%||10.8%||11.6%|
|11||11 November 2009||11.0%||11.3%||10.4%||10.5%|
|12||12 November 2009||11.1%||11.1%||10.9%||10.6%|
|13||18 November 2009||10.6%||11.1%||9.1%||8.8%|
|14||19 November 2009||10.1%||10.0%||9.4%||9.6%|
|15||25 November 2009||10.9%||11.7%||9.5%||9.6%|
|16||26 November 2009||11.9%||12.2%||10.3%||11.0%|
Awards and nominations
|2009||Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||Jang Keun-suk||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special||Park Shin-hye||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Special||Kim In-kwon||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Special||Choi Ran||Nominated|
|Top 10 Stars||Jang Keun-suk||Won|
|New Star Award||Park Shin-hye||Won|
|Netizen Popularity Award||Jang Keun-suk||Won|
|2010||Best Director (TV)||Hong Sung-chang||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor||Jung Yong-hwa||Won|
|2011||Best Foreign Soap Opera||You're Beautiful||Won|
- Vietnam - HTV3, from March 27, 2010
- Malaysia - 8TV (Malaysia), 14 December 2010 – 12 January 2011 at 8.30pm – 9.30pm.
- Philippines - ABS-CBN, dubbed in Filipino language.
- Japan - Fuji TV
- China - CCTV
- Indonesia - Indosiar
- Thailand - BBTV Channel 7
- Singapore - MediaCorp Channel U
- Middle East and North Africa - MBC 4, Shahid
- India - Puthuyugam TV
- Panama - SERTV Channel 11, March 2013
- Iran - GEM DRAMA, from 2018
- "Takimoto Miori, Tamamori Yuta, Fujigaya Taisuke, Yaotome Hikaru star in You're Beautiful remake". Tokyograph. May 17, 2011. Retrieved May 21, 2011.
- "Park Shin Hye to make cameo on Taiwanese remake of You're Beautiful". Allkpop. November 8, 2012. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- 장근석-박신혜 아이돌스타 다룬 '미남이시네요' 캐스팅. Newsen (in Korean). August 7, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- '미남이시네요' 이홍기 "연기 도전, 부담 없다" [FT Island's Hong Ki ready to return to acting]. Joy News (in Korean). September 19, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- Lee, Ho jeong (November 16, 2009). "Luxury carmakers target TV dramas". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- 이홍기 "'미남이시네요' 끝까지 응원해 달라". Star News (in Korean). November 3, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- '미남' 장근석, 팬들 응원에 힘났다. MK News (in Korean). November 3, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- '미남이시네요'가 '아이리스'에 기죽지 않는 이유 [You're Beautiful's passionate cult following]. IS Plus (in Korean). October 3, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "OST album of You're Beautiful soars with nearly 20,000 copies sold in the first week". Hancinema. October 27, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남이시네요' OST 앨범 판매 대박행진!" [A.N.JELL's music is a hit]. BNTNews (in Korean). October 25, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남이시네요' AN.Jell, 실제 가수로 활약?" [You're Beautiful's AN.Jell to work as real singers?]. IS Plus (in Korean). October 25, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- '미남' 꽃미남 그룹 에이엔젤, 공개 미니 콘서트 연다! [A.N.JELL to hold a second mini-concert]. BNTNews (in Korean). November 21, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- '미남' 마지막 콘서트, 3천명 구름관중 [A.N.JELL holds its last concert]. Osen (in Korean). November 23, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "Korean drama Minamishineyo scores top rating in Japan". 10Asia. August 5, 2010. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- "You're Beautiful and Sungkyungwan Scandal to be shown in Japanese theaters". Hancinema. April 11, 2011. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- "Jang Geun-seok You're Beautiful beats Winter Sonata". Hancinema. September 14, 2011. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- "Jang Seo-hee wins grand prize at SBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. January 4, 2010. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- , "8TV news
"Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved March 5, 2015. "
- "أنت جميلة - MBC Drama - MBC.net". www.mbc.net (in Arabic). Retrieved 2017-03-24.