You've Got to Laugh
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|You've Got to Laugh|
|Studio album by Nik Kershaw|
|Released||26 October 2006|
|Nik Kershaw chronology|
You've Got to Laugh is the seventh studio album by Nik Kershaw, released on 26 October 2006 under his own record label. Initially at least, the album is only available for purchase online via his web site through his own studio, Shorthouse Records. The album is also available for a digital download via iTunes or eMusic.
In a 2008 interview, Kershaw spoke of the album. "You've Got to Laugh took about five years to get together. That wasn't intense recording, obviously. I just waited until I'd got enough tracks and that was the time to release it. Had it not been for my girlfriend, it probably wouldn't have been released at all. The songs are all about my own experiences or those of people around me; they're about friends and foes; they're about real life, which means there's nothing too glamorous going on".
- "Can't Get Arrested" – 4:41
- "Oh, You Beautiful Thing" – 3:15
- "Lost" – 4:40
- "All About You" – 4:35
- "Promises, Promises" – 3:52
- "I Hope You're Happy Now" – 3:20
- "Old House" – 4:02
- "Yeah, Yeah" – 3:50
- "Born Yesterday" – 4:50
- "Loud, Confident & Wrong" – 3:39
- "She Could Be the One" – 5:17
- "You Don't Have to Be the Sun" – 5:39
No songs from the album were released as singles. At the end of the CD sleeve, there is a dedication note to Kershaw's late father, Douglas John Kershaw (24 February 1920 – 30 July 2005). The holding page on the official Nik Kershaw website had an instrumental in-work version of the closing track "You Don't Have to Be the Sun".
- Nik Kershaw - vox, guitars, keyboards, programming and general showing off
- Stuart Ross - bass (tracks 5, 6, 7, 9, 12)
- Nick Beggs - bass, Chapman Stick & impulse power (tracks 2, 3, 4, 11)
- Julian Brown - drums (tracks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9)
- Simon Phillips - drums (tracks 1, 7, 11)
- Imogen Heap - backing vox (tracks 5, 8, 12)
- Lily Gonzalez - backing box (tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 11)
Julian's drums recorded by Mark "Tufty" Evans at Wispington Studios. Tracks 8 & 12 mixed by Mark "Tufty" Evans at Wispington Studios. Mastered by Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering, Devon. Graphic Design by Aurile Ltd. Main cover artwork by Frank Renlie. Fish photograph by Kim Zumwalt, Getty Images. All songs written by Nik Kershaw and published by Zomba Music.
- "Nik Kershaw : Interview". Pennyblackmusic.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-01-13.