This article needs to be updated.(December 2022)
Type of site
|Pornographic video sharing|
|Available in||English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Turkish, Polish and Russian, Dutch, Afrikaans, Romanian|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Owner||MG Freesites Ltd.|
|Launched||August 26, 2006|
|Gratis; youporninhd.com is proprietary|
YouPorn is a free pornographic video sharing website that launched in August of 2006.
YouPorn's own site reports that its owner is Midstream Media International N.V., seated in Willemstad, the capital city of Curaçao, an island in the southern Caribbean Sea that forms a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Sunny Freeman, a reporter pursuing a graduate degree in journalism at UBC, wrote one article in The Tyee calling the company "German-based". The site is run from a hosting service in Texas.
Concerns have surfaced over the inability to verify the age of the persons depicted in the videos, the possibility of copyrighted videos being uploaded to the site, and the possibility of privacy violations when private sex tapes are uploaded without the consent of all involved parties. In 2007 Vivid Entertainment took legal action against YouPorn, claiming that the streaming of copyrighted material was depriving it of revenue.
YouPorn has been called "a good role model for the sexually naive", as many of its homemade videos depict amateur couples having ordinary sex (known as "Amateur"), as opposed to the often unreal scenarios of commercial porn.
In February 2012, the site was hacked, with the details of over 1 million users leaked onto the Internet. MindGeek blamed this on the failings of a third-party chat service.
German law does not allow hardcore pornography without an effective age verification system, and the German Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien (Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons) placed YouPorn on its index. As a result, since April 2007, the German site of the Google search engine (
google.de) classified YouPorn.com as a hardcore pornography website and replaced it with a link to Chilling Effects, claiming that a "German regulatory body reported illegal material".
Following a request by Kirchberg, the owner of a competing pornography service (now defunct), German provider Arcor categorized YouPorn and a few other porn sites as hardcore pornographic and also blocked access to the website at the routing level in September 2007, affecting over 2 million users. The German Pirate Party promptly opened a proxy server so that Arcor customers could continue to easily access YouPorn.
Arcor lifted the block on September 17 because the IP address-based filter which had been set up for YouPorn also affected other sites. Kirchberg then sued, alleging that Arcor aided unfair competition by YouPorn, and on October 19, 2007 obtained a temporary injunction ordering Arcor to resume limiting the accessibility to YouPorn.com. On October 23, 2007, Arcor started to control access to YouPorn again, this time with a DNS-based approach that is easily circumvented, and successfully filed an appeal against the injunction.
Kirchberg has sent notices to 19 German ISPs demanding that YouPorn be granted access limitations, but none have complied. Efforts by Kirchberg to obtain injunctions regarding YouPorn from internet providers in Kiel and Düsseldorf were unsuccessful.
In July 2009 Sri Lanka blocked access to 12 porn web sites including YouPorn, RedTube, Xvideos and Xhamster. On July 25, 2009 Sri Lanka Chief Magistrate Nishantha Hapuarachchi ordered the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission to block those 12 websites from all local Internet Service Providers.
The Government of India banned YouPorn in 2018, among other porn websites, after a Uttarakhand High Court court order demanding the same in a rape case where the perpetrators stated they were motivated to do so after watching online pornography.
YouPorn sponsors an esports team known as Team YP. In July 2014, YouPorn stated their intentions to enter the professional esports scene by sponsoring either a Dota 2 or League of Legends team. On December 3, 2014, YouPorn announced their official entry into the Dota 2 scene with the acquisition of a Spanish team previously known as Play2Win. On June 9, 2015 Team YP announced that they had signed Super Smash Bros. player Jason "Bizzarro Flame" Yoon. Team YP's Street Fighter division consists of Valentin "Valmaster" Petit and Anton "Filipin0man" Herrera with the former being signed on September 23 and the latter being signed on October 8. In October 2015, Team YP announced they were searching for a Counter-Strike: Global Offensive team. They stated they wanted one all-male and one all-female team.
- O'Connor, Maureen (June 2017). "Pornhub is the Kinsey Report of our Time". New York: 30–39.
- YouPorn.com Hit With 'History-Sniffing' Lawsuit Archived January 25, 2022, at the Wayback Machine, XBIZ, December 6, 2010
- Freeman, Sunny (July 6, 2007). "Porn 2.0, and Its Victims". The Tyee. Archived from the original on November 28, 2017. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- Manwin Acquires YouPorn.com – AVN ID Archived April 2, 2014, at the Wayback Machine, created October 20, 2007
- "Just how big are porn sites?". extremetech.com. April 4, 2012. Archived from the original on June 26, 2017. Retrieved June 16, 2017.
- Bild.de verursacht Pornowelle Archived August 22, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, November 15, 2006 (in German)
- Helmore, Edward (December 16, 2007). "Home porn gives industry the blues". The Guardian. Archived from the original on February 22, 2017. Retrieved December 18, 2016.
- Moran, Caitlin (September 24, 2007). "A good role model for the sexually naive". The Times. Archived from the original on June 4, 2011.
- Molloy, Mark (February 23, 2012). "Personal details of over one million YouPorn users leaked in security breach". Metro. Archived from the original on May 3, 2021. Retrieved December 14, 2020.
- Search results for "youporn" on google.de Archived January 25, 2022, at the Wayback Machine delivering many comments from blogs
- "German regulatory body reported illegal material — Chilling Effects Clearinghouse". Chillingeffects.org. Archived from the original on February 17, 2006. Retrieved December 8, 2010.
- Lischka, Konrad (October 22, 2007). "Jugendschutz: Abmahnwelle drängt Internetanbieter zur Web-Zensur" [Child Safety: warning wave forces ISPs to web censorship]. Der Spiegel (in German). Archived from the original on May 3, 2021. Retrieved January 25, 2022.
- Arcor blocks access to porno pages, Heise Online, September 11, 2007 Archived September 15, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Arcor sperrt Youporn.com Archived September 15, 2007, at the Wayback Machine (in German)
- Landgericht zwingt Arcor zur Porno-Zensur Archived October 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, Spiegel Online, October 19, 2007. (in German)
- Arcor muss YouPorn sperren Archived October 20, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, Heise Online, October 19, 2007. (in German)
- Arcor blockiert Zugang zu Youporn Archived October 24, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, Spiegel Online, October 23, 2007. (in German)
- Heise.de: Arcor muss YouPorn nicht mehr sperren Archived April 20, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Heise.de, April 15, 2008. (in German)
- Abmahnwelle drängt Internetanbieter zur Web-Zensur Archived October 23, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, Spiegel Online, October 22, 2007. (in German)
- Golem.de: Gericht: Provider muss keine Pornoseiten sperren Archived December 5, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, September 23, 2007. (in German)
- Weiterer Antrag auf Sperrung von Pornoseiten zurückgewiesen Archived December 30, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, Heise Online, December 13, 2007. (in German)
- Singapore bans two porn websites in symbolic move Archived January 28, 2010, at the Wayback Machine, Reuters, May 23, 2008
- Sri Lankan court blocks porn websites Archived December 7, 2009, at the Wayback Machine, India Express, July 25, 2009
- Sri Lanka court blocks porn websites Archived October 3, 2009, at the Wayback Machine, Brisbane Times, Australia, July 25, 2009
- "The hidden threats that rise from India's porn ban". FactorDaily. November 14, 2018.
- Morris, Chris (December 3, 2014). "Porn company to be official sponsor of eSports team". CNBC. Archived from the original on June 22, 2019. Retrieved June 22, 2019.
- Plunkett, Luke (December 3, 2014). "YouPorn Now Has An eSports Team". Kotaku. Archived from the original on June 22, 2019. Retrieved June 22, 2019.
- McWhertor, Michael (December 3, 2014). "YouPorn has found its eSports team, will compete in Dota 2 tournament this weekend". Polygon. Archived from the original on December 4, 2014. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- Lien, Tracey (July 11, 2014). "YouPorn is considering sponsoring a Dota 2 or League of Legends team". Polygon. Archived from the original on December 7, 2014. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- Khan, Imad (June 9, 2015). "YouPorn's esports team picks up a Smash player". The Daily Dot. Archived from the original on July 27, 2015. Retrieved June 21, 2015.
- Kuri R. "Valmaster Joins Team YP". gamerassaultweekly.com. Gamer Assault Weekly. Archived from the original on December 22, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- Rosen, Daniel. "Team YP signs Filipin0man". thescoreesports.com. The Score eSports. Archived from the original on November 10, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- "Team YP on Twitter: "We are looking for a CSGO team! Let your favorite unsigned, awesome teams know!"". Twitter. YouPorn (Team YP). October 13, 2015. Archived from the original on December 22, 2015. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- "Team YP officially searching for two Counter-Strike Global Offensive teams". YouPorn (Team YP). October 26, 2015. Archived from the original on December 22, 2015. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- "Team YP seek two CS:GO teams". HLTV.org. October 27, 2015. Archived from the original on December 15, 2015. Retrieved December 17, 2015.