|Available in||English, interface available in 64 languages|
YouVersion (also known as Bible.com or the Bible App) is an online and mobile Bible platform published for Android, iOS, Windows Phone, and many other operating platforms. In 2022, according to YouVersion, its Bible App features 2,863 Bible versions in 1,868 languages, audio Bibles, offline capabilities, as well as over 800 Bible plans and devotionals.
YouVersion was founded in 2008 by Bobby Gruenewald and Life.Church. Since at least 2012, it has been sponsored by David Green, the billionaire founder and owner of Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. In April 2014, YouVersion released version 5 of the Bible App, which added features for community engagement and scripture discussion. In April 2016, The Bible App became available on the Apple Watch allowing users to read the Verse of the Day, view trending verses, and access their own Verse Images, Bookmarks, and Highlights. By April 2017, YouVersion had been downloaded over 268 million times and offered 1492 versions of the Bible in 1074 languages. In March 2017, YouVersion launched a service using Google Assistant on Google Home devices, enabling users to request Bible verses based on their moods and emotions. In November 2021, YouVersion reached 500 million downloads.
YouVersion has been accused of over collecting data from its users since 2013. As recently as 2019, the Android version of the app was requiring access to all the users contact information (their address book) and the users GPS location. YouVersion has updated their privacy policies as of April 2, 2022.
- ^ "The Bible App". YouVersion. August 24, 2017. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- ^ Bill Sherman, Lifechurch.tv's Bible app attracts millions of users, tulsaworld.com, USA, January 4, 2011
- ^ Katherine T. Phan, YouVersion Bible App Creator Makes 100 Most Creative People List, christianpost.com, May 31, 2011
- ^ Amy O'Leary, In the Beginning Was the Word; Now the Word Is on an App, USA, nytimes.com, July 26, 2013
- ^ Solomon, Brian (October 8, 2012). "Meet David Green: Hobby Lobby's Biblical Billionaire". Forbes. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- ^ Alex Murashako, Bible App 5 Shows YouVersion Still on Track to Engage the World in Scripture, christianpost.com, USA, April 23, 2014
- ^ Suzanne Arpin, YouVersion Upgrades Bible App to Build Community, charismanews.com, USA, April 14, 2014
- ^ Klett, Leah (April 10, 2015). "YouVersion to Release Updated Version of Bible App for Apple Watch". gospelherald.com. Retrieved November 25, 2015.
- ^ "Now Available: The Bible App for Apple Watch | YouVersion". blog.youversion.com. April 24, 2015. Retrieved August 9, 2016.
- ^ Jean Hopfensperger, God on the go: Bible apps offer mobile inspiration, startribune.com, USA, May 13, 2017
- ^ "Google Assistant can now read Bible passages to fit your mood". VentureBeat. April 1, 2017. Retrieved April 2, 2017.
- ^ Gutenberg, meet Gruenewald. App builder’s YouVersion puts Bible in half-billion phones. (Religious News Service, 11/19/2021)
- ^ "Christian Mingle and more religious Android apps with downright sinful privacy policies".