You Are the Sunshine of My Life
|"You Are the Sunshine of My Life"|
|Single by Stevie Wonder|
|from the album Talking Book|
|Format||7" 45 RPM|
|Genre||Soul, pop, adult contemporary|
|Stevie Wonder singles chronology|
"You Are the Sunshine of My Life" is a 1973 single released by Stevie Wonder. The song became Wonder's third #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and his first #1 on the Easy Listening chart. It won Wonder a Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance, and was nominated for both Record of the Year and Song of the Year. This song was the second single released from the 1972 album entitled Talking Book, which stayed at number one on the R&B charts for three weeks. The song opened 194 Radio City on 21 October 1974.
The first two lines of the song are sung, not by Wonder, but by Jim Gilstrap and with Lani Groves singing the next two lines. The single version of the song differs from the album version with the addition of horns to the mix.
In popular culture
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 1973 (U.S.)
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1973 (U.S.)
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 262.
- Hogan, Ed. "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" (song review), AllMusic.com.
- Bronson, Fred (2003). The Billboard Book of Number One Hits: Updated and Expanded 5th Edition. Random House Digital, Inc. p. 333.
- "Everybody Loves Raymond Season 9 Episode 17: Finale". TV.com. 2014-07-06. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
"Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree" by Dawn featuring Tony Orlando
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
May 19, 1973 (one week)
"Frankenstein" by The Edgar Winter Group
|This 1970s single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|