You Ask Me To
|"You Ask Me To"|
|Single by Waylon Jennings|
|from the album Honky Tonk Heroes|
|B-side||"Willy the Wandering Gypsy and Me"|
|Released||October 6, 1973|
|Songwriter(s)||Waylon Jennings, Billy Joe Shaver|
|Waylon Jennings singles chronology|
"You Ask Me To" is a song written by Billy Joe Shaver and Waylon Jennings. It was originally recorded by Jennings on his 1973 album Honky Tonk Heroes. This record spent fifteen weeks on the Billboard country singles charts, reaching a peak of number eight. Shaver recorded his own version in 1977 for the album Gypsy Boy, with special guest Willie Nelson on guitar and vocals. "You Ask Me To" also appeared as the closing song on Elvis Presley's 1975 album Promised Land, it was recorded in December 1973 at Stax Records studios in Memphis and released on Presley's 40th birthday. It also appeared, with an alternate arrangement in Elvis Presley's posthumous 1981 album Guitar Man, which reached the Top 50 in the US.
Waylon Jennings version
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||8|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||8|
Billy Joe Shaver version
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||80|
- "Waylon Jennings ["Chart and Awards" section]". Allmusic. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- Jurek, Thom. "Gypsy Goy". Allmusic. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- "Guitar Man ["Chart and Awards" section]". Allmusic. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- "Waylon Jennings Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Billy Joe Shaver Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.