You Better Move On (song)
|"You Better Move On"|
|Single by Arthur Alexander|
|B-side||"A Shot of Rhythm and Blues"|
|Format||45 rpm record|
|Studio||Fame Studios, Muscle Shoals, Alabama|
|Genre||Rhythm and blues|
|Arthur Alexander singles chronology|
"You Better Move On" is a 1961 rhythm and blues song by Arthur Alexander. It reached number 24 on the Billboard chart in March 1962. It was recorded in 1962 by Bobby Vee and then by both the Hollies and the Rolling Stones in 1964. It was also covered by George Jones and Johnny Paycheck for their collaboration album Double Trouble (George Jones and Johnny Paycheck album).
Arthur Alexander version
The lyrics were inspired by Alexander's real life situation, in which his girlfriend and future wife already had a boyfriend. Alexander said of the situation "When I met her out of high school he was still hanging in there. His family was pretty well off. I didn't have no money but I knew she liked me. It was a small town and people would be talking. That's where I got the idea for the song. I didn't talk to him personally. I said it in song."
The song was recorded at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The session musicians on the recording included David Briggs, piano, Terry Thompson, guitar, Forest Riley, acoustic guitar, Norbert Putnam, bass guitar, Jerry Carrigan, drums, and unknown back up singers.
Rolling Stones version
"You Better Move On" was first released on 17 January 1964, on the EP, The Rolling Stones. It was included on the US album, December's Children (And Everybody's), released in 1965. It was also included on the UK version of Through the Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2).
- Mick Jagger – lead vocals
- Keith Richards – electric guitar
- Brian Jones – acoustic guitar, backing vocal
- Charlie Watts – drums
- Bill Wyman – bass guitar, backing vocal
- ‘’Muscle Shoals Sound’’, Rhino Records Inc. R2 71517, liner notes, 1993
- Whitburn, Joel. The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Revised and Enlarged, Billboard Books, New York, 1992,
- Creswell, Toby (2006). 1001 Songs. Thunder's Mouth Press. p. 369. ISBN 978-1560259152.
- The Muscle Shoals Sound, CD, Rhino Records, 1993