You Can Do Magic (song)
|"You Can Do Magic"|
|Single by America|
|from the album View from the Ground|
|B-side||"Even the Score"|
|Released||July 6, 1982|
|Studio||Abbey Road Studio 2, London|
|Genre||Soft rock, pop rock|
|America singles chronology|
The song was one of two Ballard compositions on View from the Ground, the other being "Jody". Ballard wrote both songs specifically for America at the behest of Rupert Perry, A&R vice president for Capitol Records. Ballard also produced the tracks marking a return to record production after a four-year hiatus; although Ballard had earlier hits as a songwriter, "You Can Do Magic" was his first major hit credit as a producer.
"You Can Do Magic" proved a solid comeback vehicle for America whose last Top 40 hit—"Today's the Day"—had occurred in 1976; the second of two subsequent appearances on the Hot 100 was in 1979. "You Can Do Magic" returned America to the Top 40 in August 1982 with the track reaching No. 8 that October. The popularity of "You Can Do Magic" was paralleled by the success of the parent View From the Ground album which rose to No. 41 on Billboard's listing of the top 200 albums, the first time an album by America as a duo (rather than the original trio) had appeared in that chart's upper half.
International chart placings for "You Can Do Magic" include No. 30 in Australia, No. 37 in Canada, No. 20 in Ireland, No. 27 in Italy, No. 12 in New Zealand, and No. 59 in the UK.
The success of "You Can Do Magic" led to America recording their 1983 album Your Move with Russ Ballard as producer.
- "200 Greatest Soft Rock Songs". entertainment.expertscolumn.com.
- Billboard Vol. 94 No. 40 (October 9 1982) p.33
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits. Billboard Books. p. 27. ISBN 978-0-8230-7499-0.
- America, "You Can Do Magic" Canadian Chart Positions Retrieved March 30, 2015
- "America singles charts history". Official Charts. The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- RPM 50 Singles
- RPM Contemporary Adult
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – You Can Do Magic". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- NZ Top 40 Singles Chart, 28 November 1982
- "Talent in Action : Top Pop Singles". Billboard. Vol. 94 no. 51. December 25, 1982. p. TIA-20.
|This 1980s single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|