You Can Make History (Young Again)
|"You Can Make History (Young Again)"|
|Single by Elton John|
|from the album Love Songs|
|Elton John singles chronology|
"You Can Make History (Young Again)" is a song by Elton John, initially recorded in 1996 and released on the American version of the compilation Love Songs. As the song was recorded after the release of the original European version of the compilation (released in late 1995), it was not included on that version.
The single included two tracks: a version of the song with its characteristic sitar (which can be heard at the beginning and end of the song), and one without (effectively an acoustic mix). Approximately a year after its release, the song was first released internationally when it was included as the B-side of the worldwide number-one "Something About the Way You Look Tonight"/"Candle in the Wind 1997" single, both of which were dedicated to celebrities which had died that year: Gianni Versace and Diana, Princess of Wales respectively.
Lyrically, the song talks of a lover who makes one feel young again, and is said to have been written about David Furnish, with whom Elton began a relationship in 1993.
A video, essentially a tribute to Elton's career, was also filmed for the song, featuring Elton singing in front of a microphone in a room with striped walls. Intercut with this are scenes of the camera panning across and zooming in and out of photographs and video footage (projected within the photo frames), showing various performances and notable events from throughout Elton's career. Lying amongst these photographs are notable Elton accessories, such as a knee-high boot adorned with stars, sunglasses with purple lenses, and various top hats.
Towards the end of the video, several of the frames catch fire, and remain charred as smoke rises out of the box first seen at the beginning. One final frame shows Elton with his back towards the camera as he bows.
- "You Can Make History (Young Again)" (without sitar) – 4:54
- "You Can Make History (Young Again)" (with sitar) – 4:54
- "You Can Make History (Young Again)" – 4:54
- "Song for Guy" – 5:02
- Elton John – piano, vocals
- Davey Johnstone – guitars
- Bob Birch – bass guitar
- Charlie Morgan – drums, percussion
- Guy Babylon – keyboards
- "iTunes - Music – Love Songs (Remastered) by Elton John". iTunes. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Elton John Album & Song Chart History - Adult Contemporary". Billboard. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Elton John Chart History: Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Elton John - You Can Make History Young Again". Retrieved 21 September 2012 – via YouTube.
- "Elton John You Can Make History Young Again USA Promo 5" CD SINGLE (85554)". eil.com. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- RPM Adult Contemporary, January 13, 1997
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-2002
- Billboard Adult Contemporary, November 2, 1996
- Cash Box Top 100 Singles, November 16, 1996
- "RPM Year End Top 100 Adult Contemporary Tracks". RPM. 16 December 1996. Retrieved 28 July 2017.
- Whitburn, Joel (1999). Pop Annual. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. ISBN 0-89820-142-X.