You Don't Know (Shady Records song)
|"You Don't Know"|
|Single by Eminem featuring 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks and Ca$his|
|from the album Eminem Presents: The Re-Up|
|Released||November 7, 2006 (US)|
December 11, 2006 (UK)
|Eminem singles chronology|
|50 Cent singles chronology|
|Lloyd Banks singles chronology|
|Cashis singles chronology|
"You Don't Know" is the lead single from the Shady compilation album Eminem Presents: The Re-Up. The song is performed by Eminem featuring artists 50 Cent, and Lloyd Banks, and features the new vocals from Cashis.
AllMusic called this song "the excellent all-star single "You Don't Know" plus highlight by same critic. B. Love was positive: "When Em snatches the mic and takes the lead on songs like the title track, "You Don't Know" (which everyone just rips), he makes a strong case for his claim to be the tightest emcee in the game" and he added: "Em isn't the only one sounding hungry again; Fif is sounding better than he has since his debut. (...) Its batting lead off on the aforementioned posse cut "You Don't Know." RapReviews noted that 2 new rappers Bobby Creekwater and Cashis can be heard in following lyrics: ""Pistol play ricochet, see where the victim lay Slumped over bleeding J.F.K. A.K. 'til your chest plate cave I'll ride to the death, do you rep that way? Forever I'ma be a Shady 7-4 gangsta, Plus I'll survive everything you got in that chamber I thrive off of danger, jumpin in all beef You keep talking shit now the squad called me"
The Guardian thought that Eminem lost creativity but the song was praised: "Eminem's production is barely more inspiring than his talent-spotting. He's been working from the same murky sonic palette since The Marshall Mathers LP: portentous gothic dirges thick with grumbling strings and minor-chord synthesizers. That formula is fiercely potent on You Don't Know, leavened by 50 Cent's sing-song chorus..." Stylus Magazine was negative: "Or as he (EM) puts it: “Hands on my head / Touch knees to elbows / I’m hunched over, emotionless / Flow’s over / These cold shoulders are both frozen / You don’t know me.” Save it for Oprah."
The video appeared on MTV's Sucker Free, and BET's 106 & Park as a "New Joint", on November 7, 2006. The video reached number 1 on MTV's Total Request Live. Tony Yayo, The Alchemist, Young Buck, D12, Bobby Creekwater, Obie Trice, Mobb Deep, Trick Trick, Dr. Dre & Stat Quo all have cameo appearances. Obie Trice appeared as a helicopter coordinator carrying Lloyd Banks. The video is prison themed with each of the four featured artists portraying highly dangerous criminals. All four are wearing prison outfits and are significantly covered in chains and cuffs, and all four are transported in separate vehicles to a heavily guarded arena. 50 Cent is transported in maximum security prison plane (Boeing C17), Cashis in a train, Lloyd Banks in a helicopter and Eminem is transported in a heavy security transfer truck. The video seems to reference movies such as The Silence of the Lambs with Eminem being restrained in a similar trolley and muzzle to that of Hannibal Lecter's. Eminem also imitates Hannibal Lecter's trademark lip-licking motion to Jodie Foster when, in the beginning of the video, Eminem is visited at his cell by an FBI Agent who looks similar to Foster's character in The Silence of the Lambs. Also, the video also seems to show references to the movie Con Air when the prisoners get transported by airplane. This video is also notable for featuring Obie Trice wearing a prototype of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones two years before they were released.
The song has over 300 million views on YouTube.
"You Don't Know" was released in the UK on December 11, 2006. It managed to chart from download sales alone, peaking at #32. The song peaked at #12 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the highest debut for a single on this chart for 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, and Cashis. It was Eminem's fifth highest debut, after "We Made You", at number 9, "Forever", with Drake, Kanye West, and Lil Wayne, at number 8, "Love the Way You Lie", with Rihanna, at number 2, and "Not Afraid", which became the sixteenth overall and second rap song to debut at number 1. The song is featured in the WWE film The Condemned. This song is also used by the Boston Celtics for their player introductions at the TD Garden.
|1.||"You Don't Know" (performed by Eminem, 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks and Cashis)||4:17|
|2.||"Get Low" (performed by Stat Quo)||3:19|
- ^[a] signifies an additional producer.
|Brazilian Singles Chart (ABPD)||15|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||32|
|US Billboard Hot 100||12|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||87|
|US Pop 100 (Billboard)||16|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000*|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- David Jeffries. "Eminem Presents: The Re-Up - Eminem - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- http://hiphopdx.com, HipHopDX -. "Eminem Presents - The Re-Up".
- "Eminem :: Eminem Presents The Re-Up :: Shady/Interscope Records". Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- Dorian Lynskey. "CD: Eminem, Presents the Re-Up". The Guardian. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Various Artists - Eminem Presents the Re-Up - Review - Stylus Magazine". Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- 50 cent - you don't know - YouTube. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
- Eminem Presents: The Re-Up singles charts and awards at Allmusic.
- "iTunes - Music - You Don't Know - Single (UK Only Version) by 50 Cent, Cashis, Eminem & Lloyd Banks". iTunes. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Discography Eminem". irish-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Eminem, 50 Cent & Lloyd Banks introd. Cashis - You Don't Know". norwegiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Eminem" (select "View Singles" tab). The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Hot 100: Week of December 23, 2006 (Biggest Jump)". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Eminem". Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Eminem > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "British single certifications – Eminem – You Don't Know". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved November 23, 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type You Don't Know in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Eminem – You Don't Know". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved February 28, 2018. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.