You Dropped a Bomb on Me
|"You Dropped a Bomb on Me"|
|Single by The Gap Band|
|from the album Gap Band IV|
|B-side||"Humpin'" (from The Gap Band III)
"Early in the Morning" (Germany)
|Length||4:05 (Single Version)
5:13 (12" Single Edit)
13:07 (Special Disco Mix)
|Writer(s)||Lonnie Simmons, Rudy Taylor, Charlie Wilson|
|The Gap Band singles chronology|
"You Dropped a Bomb on Me" is an electrofunk song performed by The Gap Band, released in 1982 on producer Lonnie Simmons' label, Total Experience Records. It reached #2 on the Billboard R&B charts, #39 on the dance charts and #31 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song is noted for its use of a synthesizer to imitate the whistling sound of a dropping bomb.
The song has been heavily used in media and hip-hop sampling
- "Big Apple Production Vol. 1" by Ser & Duff (1982)
- "Special Bulletin" by The News Crew (1986)
- "Purple Pills" by D-12 (2001)
- "In Step" by Girl Talk (2008)
Use in media
- The song featured on the fictional radio station Bounce FM in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- Featured as background music for an Animal Planet commercial, "danced" to by various species of monkey
- Featured in the 2000 film Next Friday
- Featured in the film Brooklyn Rules
- Featured in an episode of Everybody Hates Chris
- The song is referenced in Mr. Show episode "Operation: Hell on Earth"
- The song is played during Ben Greenwood's section in the Liquid Force's "The Truth" wakeboarding free-ride movie
- An instrumental version of the songis frequently used as bumper music on "The Rush Limbaugh Show"
- Jordan, Jesse, GO! host Jesse Thorn uses this track as his "power jam" when he needs to get hyped.
- The song is featured in an episode of The Carrie Diaries (TV series)
- Featured in an episode of Cold Case
- Featured in a 2014 advertisement for Minute Maid Drops, as "You Dropped the Juice on Me."
Use at sporting events
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (March 2012)|
- The song was played at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium after every touchdown pass by Mark Brunell of the Jacksonville Jaguars
- It is occasionally played at Citi Field after the New York Mets hit a home run
- The song is played at McKethan Stadium in Gainesville, FL every time a University of Florida player hits a home run
- The song is played at Reynolds Stadium in Stillwater, OK every time an Oklahoma State player hits a home run
- The song is the first song that the Southlake Carroll Dragons warm up to before every home football game.
- The song is frequently played in the Oklahoma Bethany Broncos Football Stadium
- The song is played by The Dale and Holley Show on 850 WEEI when they "blow up" callers
- The song is played when the prize parachutes are dropped at Nationwide Arena for Columbus Blue Jackets games.
- The song is played at HSBC arena in Buffalo, NY when Buffalo Bandits player Cory Bomberry scores a goal
- This song was played at Citizens Bank Park when Phillies outfielder Pat Burrell hit a home run.
- This song was played at Miller Park when Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder hit a home run.
- Whenever the Memphis Grizzlies have a huge play in the 4th quarter at FedExForum, they play this song.
- The song was frequently played during Kansas City Royals games at Kauffman Stadium during the 1980s and 1990s.
- The song is occasionally played at AT&T Park in San Francisco, California, when a Giants player hits a home run.
- "The Gap Band > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- Foege, Alec (14 April 2009). Right of the Dial: The Rise of Clear Channel and the Fall of Commercial Radio. Faber & Faber. p. 164. ISBN 978-1-4299-2367-5.
- "The Gap Band Music Sampled by Others". WhoSampled. 2010-08-17. Retrieved 2012-03-16.